Chicken Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
clintdaniels83 said:
You can clip the wings of about any age, but unless they are bantams they don't fly that much usually.
On the contrary! My flock of bantams are escape artists. Because of their size and weight they have a lot of oomph to their go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
On the contrary! My flock of bantams are escape artists. Because of their size and weight they have a lot of oomph to their go.
My little bantam gang members "2 of them" are a descendant of Houdini. They are escape artists and have the Napoleon syndrome something fierce but great egg layers

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm having a problem with my leghorns and black sex links flying to the roof of the coops and getting into the yard. I didn't think they could fly well either since my first chickens didn't do this. The dog got one and would have killed it if I didn't come to it's rescue. How do I clip their wings so they can't fly? I used to clip our parakeet years ago but I can't remember exactly how I did it.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Here's a video....but I don't really agree with most of this lady's videos. Silly for the most part. In this video she talks about not clipping the "keep warm" feathers...technically known as secondary flight feathers. I wouldn't worry about clipping those off as they don't "keep the chicken warm"..they are for flight.

You can clip both the primaries and secondaries on a chicken...usual advice is to clip one side only.

I've discovered that a determined bird can still hop to a high place with one or both wings clipped and even with both primaries and secondaries clipped~what I lovingly call "the prison cut".

It's just much simpler all the way around to keep their landing points unavailable to them by extending fencing or wire above the fence posts, gates, etc. they are hopping up to. In this case, they are hopping to the top of the coop...just prevent this from happening by stringing wire or netting to prevent a landing.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
No, it isn't necessary. I haven't done it for years...I finally figured out it's worthless if the bird is determined, so it's easier and more efficient to just remove the safe landing places than it is to try to keep a bird on the ground.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm glad I watched the video. I thought clipping their wings was going to be something bloody and cruel. I think I'd still rather try getting rid of the landings

·
Registered
37 Posts
My girls are flying over my head at least 6 feet high. They have a very large area to roam in, but for some reason the grass looks greener on the other side. They seem to like the birds eye view of everything up there. The leg horns are small and light but my larger black sex link was up there today!!!!:eek: We found a home for the dog that attacked the two, he thought they were wind up toys. Thankfully he didn't kill them. I'm just not so sure our older dog wouldn't kill one if it got out while we aren't there. I hate to clip their wings but I don't see a way to afford a twelve foot fence. So I should clip both wings then and not just one? And thanks for the video clip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts