Chicken Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are currently in the middle of building our new, larger coop and were wondering if anyone has used sand on the floor for cleaning purposes. I know of one person who swears by it, but wondered if anyone else uses it. It seems like sand would get everywhere and the chickens would be uncomfortable.

Thanks for any opinions, pics will be up when we complete the coop.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I love sand. It's easy to clean, absorbent, adds grit. It's also inexpensive and you buy it once. It's also easy to compost. I would not use anything else.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
When I rebuild next summer I will be switching to sand with a raised floor. Right now I have a dirt floor and use straw, and I'm not thrilled with it.

·
Banned
825 Posts
I use hay-straw on the floor of my coop. I have a board about 4 inches high at the chickens entrance to the coop....to retain the hay.
At "Clean-up Time" I remove that board and with a hoe I rake the straw and droppings into my wheelbarrow. ( The entrance is just the right heighth.) And then I replace with "new" hay.....4 to 6 inches deep. It's easily done. ( I haven't needed to change it very often...just every few months.)
THEN....I put the "stuff" in the wheelbarrow into my Compost Pile.....which eventually gets tilled into my garden as needed or appropriate.
-ReTIRED-

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use sand mixed with Sweet PDZ in my coop. It's like a really big litter box. I go out and scoop every other day and it stays clean and fresh.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
love it

I have been using sad and it is great. I keep a 3x4 frame with 1/4" hardware cloth stapled to it hanging in the run and lower it to sift the sand for easy cleaning. The girls love it as they can scratch around and find feed they have missed at feeding time. It also has lots of shell bits, as I get free beach sand...one of the benefits of leaving on an Island..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts