Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I'll clean mine out come spring. In the mean time I just layer the straw and let it get deep. It gives more padding and keeps the coop floor dry since we have a dirt floor.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I clean mine out in the spring and fall. I use pine shavings, and when it starts breaking down, I add more. I also throw my scratch on top which keeps them turning it, keeping it smelling fresh.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I scoop their "gifts" up daily much to the delight of my gardens and shrubs. Whole coop and run is cleaned weekly. Fresh wood shavings in the coop, run raked up and freshened up.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
7chicks said:
I scoop their "gifts" up daily much to the delight of my gardens and shrubs. Whole coop and run is cleaned weekly. Fresh wood shavings in the coop, run raked up and freshened up.
I read 7chicks post as if I wrote it. My routine to a T .. :).

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have 12 chickens. In the summer months, I dump the manure boxes weekly to keep the smell down. I clean the floor every couple of months to keep the dust down. In the winter, dump the manure boxes weekly but leave the floor alone until spring. Because the coop is off the ground a bit, I find the coop stays warmer when I allow the floor to pile up. As for the nesting boxes, I clean them out year round as needed so the eggs aren't dirty.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Jim said:
I read 7chicks post as if I wrote it. My routine to a T .. :).
Ok you guys, do you use dog poop scoopers, are you bending over with gloves on.... I'm trying to imagine picking out all those little poos..... how do you do it?

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I suggest trying sand instead of piled manure. Great insulation, easy to clean, absorbs water and keeps the smell to a minimum.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
HomeSkillet said:
Ok you guys, do you use dog poop scoopers, are you bending over with gloves on.... I'm trying to imagine picking out all those little poos..... how do you do it?
I used gloves at first, but then started to use all those plastic groc bags as gloves, or more like mittens. Mine all poop in a row, so it is easy to pick it up, with pine shavings, I don't get it all, but a lot of it, takes 5-10 min for all 3 coops of mine. As far as bending over, I built mine to where the floor is waist high, and under it is more open area they can play in. I just open the big doors and reach in. Sometimes I have to bend back, and I learned fast to look before I bend, as poo sometimes gets near the door.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Icecream bucket hangs on the wall ready to go with a pair of Dollar Store $1 cheap plastic salad tongs. Works like a charm. Nope hand scooping for me. :eek: Ewww.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No gloves needed. I have two plastic boots trays under the roost. I simply slide out the trays and dump everything in our compost pile.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
DewKistFarm said:
No gloves needed. I have two plastic boots trays under the roost. I simply slide out the trays and dump everything in our compost pile.
Hmm, I can't put an image to that description, can you post a pic when ya get a chance.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I love all these ideas! And really, I will never see salad tongs the same way :) I especially like the cat scoop idea, think it would work well in my set-up.
Smiles

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
i use paint scrapers a small brush and a bucket. then put all the droppings in the compost bin.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just use straw (since I have to clean it out VERY often because of my ducks) and take a shovel and shovel it into a bucket to pour over the garden. It is very easy to do. Takes maybe 5-10 minutes at the most!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jim said:
Hmm, I can't put an image to that description, can you post a pic when ya get a chance.
Jim, I took a picture for you. They don't leave droppings in the main part of the coop. Mainly when they are roosting at night. So, under their roosting ladders I made a wooden frame that surrounds boot trays. The I have a wire cover over it all. See the picture below.

image-3753359096.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts