Choosing A Breed

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by BLG, Aug 27, 2012.

1. BLG

BLG New Member

Hi, I'm interested in having a small sustainable farm and having chickens is at the top of my list. I would like a chicken that needs little-to-no management and can graze in the pasture.

I would like eggs and some meat too. Perhaps I'll need to have two different breeds to accomplish that but if one breed could be a happy balance between the two that would be good. I would like something hardy that can stand the Texas weather and is not susceptible to disease etc. I'm willing to trade off on egg and meat production for a bird that can meet those more important criteria. I'm totally new to this so I really am starting at ground zero. What suggestions do you guys have for me?

2. AuroraHawk

AuroraHawk Junior Member

3. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

You need to look into duel purpose chicken breeds ... meat and eggs from the same bird.

4. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Pickin Chicken app is great. You put in what you want as far as egg size, color and they tell you the best breeds to accomplish that. I use it all the time, just to learn more about chicken breeds.

5. creeperolie

creeperolie New Member

I agree with energyvet. The Pickin Chicken app is great!!!

6. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Oh My gosh ... I thought this was a joke!

To be honest ... (while many things come to mind) ... I don't know what to say ... :eek:

7. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Too funny. It is a great app though. :)

8. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

I Personally believe first time owners should start with something like production reds or dominiquers and as well as a hardy bird buy a few game fowl and breed them into your stock. The babies will produce your larger brown eggs but have the immune system traits of gamefowl

9. Happeesupermom

Happeesupermom Happee ChickenSuperMomma

I looked for the Pickin Chicken app & can't find it. Do I have the name right? Who's the creator? TIA. :)

10. creeperolie

creeperolie New Member

It is spelt 'pickinchicken' and it is available on the Apple app store. I am not sure about others

11. creeperolie

creeperolie New Member

Sorry it is spelt ' Pickin Chicken ' and it is made by Funny Farm Industries.

12. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

And spelt is spelled "spelled." lol. ;-)

13. BLG

BLG New Member

Thanks for the info guys. I'll check out the apple app and check back in if I have anymore questions, and I'm sure I will :)

14. BLG

BLG New Member

I got the pickin chicken app and was looking at the description of the Rhode Island Red chickens. It says they are not inclined to seek out naturally occurring food sources. Can anyone confirm for me whether or not that's true?

15. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Mine are the best foragers I own, hunt from daylight til dark.

16. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I think they mean that RIR will be happy in a coop and won't fly out to get to "greener pastures.". But given the opportunity I think all chickens will free range. That's what they are designed to do.

17. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

Mine do. All of them. Even the gamefowl I have

18. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

Since I am new at this, I wanted to start out with one breed, Bantams, because that is what my rooster is. I figure I should learn as much as I can about this breed first. Then look into other breeds. Kinda falling in love with the frizzles and silkies. But I do want good egg layers who can withstand cold winters. What breed would you mix with them?

19. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

You can mix anything with anything. That's whats cool about chickens. Even if you breed a rhode island red to a barred rock and they have 5 babies. Each one of those babies will look different. I eventually want to have all gamebirds. But I like my laying breeds.

20. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

Buckeyes are an excellent dual purpose (meat & eggs) large fowl....require very little "management" in either free range or coop conditions! I highly recommend them and have raised a lot of different chicken breeds over the years. Welcome to the forum, too BTW!!!