Chicken Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some chicks when they were 10 days old. Tomorrow they will be 28 days. I live in Alabama where the weather is quite unpredictable....at what age and weather condition can I put them outside with the rest of the herd without a lamp?? Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I heard when there 8 weeks old they can be moved in. But pay attention to if there is a lot picking. If one gets injury move to heal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put them out today and right away the older chickens started pecking at them :( I put them back in a cage with the light but left them outside instead of the garage.

·
Banned
825 Posts
I always keep my little ones in a separate area until they are BIG "teenagers". They can all see each other through the dividing-fence....so they are NOT complete strangers when integrated. They sometimes get "picked-on" a little bit when first integrated...but it generally "blows-over" in a few days.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Do you have a way to put their cage in the coop or the run?

Or make a temporary lot beside the run?

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
I'd wait until everybody is about the same size. Or give them an escape plan, a piece of plywood or something they can get behind that the others can't get to them. BUT make sure they have access to water and food separate from the others, so that the bigger ones can't starve them out. And welcome to the herd yourself!! :D

·
Banned
825 Posts
I got some chicks when they were 10 days old. Tomorrow they will be 28 days. I live in Alabama where the weather is quite unpredictable....at what age and weather condition can I put them outside with the rest of the herd without a lamp?? Thanks!
----------------------------------------------------------------

I don't get chicks when our Weather is cold outside.
( I live at 6500 feet Elevation where the normal variation in daily High and Low temperature is always at least 40*F. )

When I DO get day-old chicks....they go outside in their own pen...right away.
I did put them in a large plastic "shipping-tub" at first...BUT I think I have quit that !!!
( Sometimes they will jump OUT and can't get back in ! )
I didn't use it last year. They had the entire pen ( about 5 feet X 15 feet ) to roam around in. I put a "heat-lamp" ( Red ) about 2 feet above the ground in a corner.
There is also an
Igloo (small dog-house) in that area....but they never use it. (I put my "broodys" in that.)

The day-old chicks congregate under the heat lamp....but occasionally move away....and go back. I keep water and feed near that corner for them....and check it often....because they SPILL everything ! ( clumsy little buggers ! Ha-Ha ! )

I do "check on them" occasionally throughout the day....just in case one gets LOST in that area. It has happened....when I had an old tarp laying in the area.

Otherwise.....

THEY do just fine.

The "theory" is: Reduce their temperature 5*F each week ( from 90*F start ).
I DON'T worry about that.
I figure that they will go under the heat-lamp IF they need heat....and go away from it if they don't need heat. It works for me AND them.

I suppose it would be good to have 2 heat-lamps...in case one burns-out. But, I haven't done that or needed to. IF the power goes off.....I'll know that from in the house. I am seldom away from home anyway.

Just thought I would mention what has worked just fine for me. ;)

BEST to YOU ! :)
Bruce (ReTIRED)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts