Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got two satin chicks yesterday, and a blue silkie rooster. I forget how old the chicks are exactly but they're only a few days old.

I'll be posting pics here as they grow!

Mesh Pet supply Window Fawn Felidae

Window Felidae Carnivore Small to medium-sized cats Interior design

Pet supply Carnivore Mesh Dog breed Fawn

There they are in the brooder. It was 37 F this morning. 馃槺 Lucky, they're okay! I don't have a heat lamp so I used a light bulb. They're in my dad's shop that's insulated.

Administrator
The rooster is a young guy and has a lot of filling out to do. He's liable to be very very fluffy.

I eager to see the peeps as they grow. The light bulb is fine as long as it's low enough to keep them warm. It's what I used with mine. A red 65 watt bulb.

Administrator
You were getting some serious side eye in the first pic.

I can't wait to see them all feathered out. I imagine you're watching closely to see what they're going to look like too.

Registered
Rest in peace Sunfish
Oooh so cute! My chickens are always so clingy, every time I sit down they just jump on me either my lap sometimes if they can鈥檛 they jump on my shoulders or my head.. yeah they don鈥檛 get off either. Lol.

Administrator
Don't look at me asking that question. What kind of comb?

Have you found out what they were crossed with? I don't see Cochin there. Whatever it was was blue.

I hope you do have a pair. I want to see peeps from them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't look at me asking that question. What kind of comb?

Have you found out what they were crossed with? I don't see Cochin there. Whatever it was was blue.

I hope you do have a pair. I want to see peeps from them.
LOL. Zoom in on the chick to the right on the last pic.

The parents were satin. Silkie x Cochin, apparently isn't called satin until the 6th or 7th generation.

I hope so, too. But if they are satins, I could get silkied and hard feathered from silkie x satin. So I have breeding options.
@fuzzies needs to see this. See if she agrees with me that Cochin isn't part of the mix.
Maybe she'll pop in soon. I don't know, I'll attach a picture of a satin so we can compare.

Registered
Some of my Silkie x Cochin mixes are shaped similarly, so I think it is a possibility that they're part Cochin. As far as the combs, looks like one didn't inherit rose or pea comb genes and has a single comb, whereas the other has a walnut comb (a combination of rose and pea, genetically) like a Silkie would normally have. I'd guess the one with the single comb is a cockerel just based on the size of the comb already, but the other one could go either way.

Administrator
Some of my Silkie x Cochin mixes are shaped similarly, so I think it is a possibility that they're part Cochin. As far as the combs, looks like one didn't inherit rose or pea comb genes and has a single comb, whereas the other has a walnut comb (a combination of rose and pea, genetically) like a Silkie would normally have. I'd guess the one with the single comb is a cockerel just based on the size of the comb already, but the other one could go either way.
Pip, I've forgotten. What kind of comb do Cochins have?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts