Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not only are they fully feathered at that age, they are huge compared to what size they were coming out of the incubator!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My chicks are 1 month old and my dad is almost done building a coop for them, and when he is done we are moving them out because they are fully feathered ALLREADY!!! And they are just normal RIR's and White Leghorns!

·
Registered
126 Posts
My chicks are 1 month old and my dad is almost done building a coop for them, and when he is done we are moving them out because they are fully feathered ALLREADY!!! And they are just normal RIR's and White Leghorns!
They just grow so fast, don't they?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yep, I got mine a month ago today. They spent their second night last night in the coop. They outgrew the brooder faster than I ever thought they would

·
Registered
126 Posts
It depends on who you ask. I personally prefer to wait until they are 5-7 weeks old to put them out. That or when they are fully feathered.

·
1,466 Posts
Wow! That's really weird because I was told to put them out when they were 6 weeks old!
if you have a heatlamp for them you don't always need to wait till they are 6 weeks old. at 8 weeks old i start to dim the heatlamp some each day within a week or 2 they are ready to be big chickens & just huddle together.

piglett

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I guess keeping Lilah inside with me for 6 months was a bit excessive huh. :eek: She was so picked on by the others that I felt bad. Had gotten her a buddy then she did okay out with old biddies. Hey, not my fault! She used those darned pretty brown eyes on me and then my heart smiled and my brain turned into mush. Ya, it was all her fault! :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya my chicks are moving out soon without a heat lamp because we live on Calif. so it never gets colder than 45 degrees at night and no colder than 52 degrees in the day! :D

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Mine are 4 weeks but we are still getting cold nights and rain and frost so they're likely going to stay in until maybe end of April.

·
227 Posts
Mine are 7 week's old and no heat lamp for first time tonight. I know they are alright but still worry about them. :eek:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Piglett, My chicks are actually only a month old yesterday and we turned their lamp of at three weeks! They are in the house, the brooder has a top and the house is heated at night, so I figure they are ok.

·
1,466 Posts
Piglett, My chicks are actually only a month old yesterday and we turned their lamp of at three weeks! They are in the house, the brooder has a top and the house is heated at night, so I figure they are ok.
they can take some cold if there are lots of them
but if you only have a few you better keep the lamp on

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I took my 4 mostly feathered chicks out for some grass and sunshine today. It was 45 degrees out. They ran around for about an hour maybe a little longer and then they went into the kennel and huddled in the hay. They can't take the cold. They're not ready. It was fun but they were very happy to be back inside under their light.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Energyvet said:
I took my 4 mostly feathered chicks out for some grass and sunshine today. It was 45 degrees out. They ran around for about an hour maybe a little longer and then they went into the kennel and huddled in the hay. They can't take the cold. They're not ready. It was fun but they were very happy to be back inside under their light.
How old are they?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts