Chicken Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i was hatching out some baby chicks and the mother has a tendency to kill her babies, so when i found the eggs hatching i brought them inside(VERY CAREFULLY) and put them under a lamp with a thermometer. the temperature anywhere from 98-102 although i wanted it to stay 100. one chick hatched and the rest never made it out... they all died. i know its my fault but im trying to find out where i went wrong? can anyone help me out?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Basically you messed with nature. Chicks need high humidity to hatch not just temperature. They probubly shrink wrapped when you took them away from the hen. That why people hatch eggs in incubators not just in a container with a light. You have to have a certain environment in order to be successful. If you know you hen kills the babies then dont let her hatch babies, hatch her eggs in an incubator, or let her hatch them but take the babies after they've hatched.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i only have 2 hens that will hatch babies, and my incubator is messed up for some reason i set it at any temperature and it just keeps rising and rising and rising. idk whats wrong with it.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
i only have 2 hens that will hatch babies, and my incubator is messed up for some reason i set it at any temperature and it just keeps rising and rising and rising. idk whats wrong with it.
Then you need to not hatch eggs until your set up for them, otherwise you will continue to kill the babies by taking them away while they are hatching.

·
Yaya
284 Posts
chicklover217 said:
Hello i was hatching out some baby chicks and the mother has a tendency to kill her babies, so when i found the eggs hatching i brought them inside(VERY CAREFULLY) and put them under a lamp with a thermometer. the temperature anywhere from 98-102 although i wanted it to stay 100. one chick hatched and the rest never made it out... they all died. i know its my fault but im trying to find out where i went wrong? can anyone help me out?
so sorry. how frustrating.
im curious what kind of chicken. My mama is a Silkie, famously good mothers, but I didn't know there were also horrid mothers!

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Apyl is right ...

I would cull the hen or just use her as a layer but not for hatching.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sorry about the loss. As stated above, the humidity wasn't right and the chicks couldn't hatch. If you insisted on moving them, you should have waited until they hatched and then moved them. That could have saved some of them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts