Chicks coming soon!

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Artemis_MA, Apr 15, 2018 at 1:39 PM.

1. Artemis_MA

Artemis_MA New Member

I have 9 straight run red broilers coming on May 3rd to a local Tractor Supply-like mom and pop store.

I have 10 pullets and one future rooster coming here on the week of May 7th, from My Pet Chicken; they are layers (well, not the rooster).

Two LARGE cardboard boxes are being set up with all the equipment: heat lamp, pine bedding over a plastic bottom with a layer of newspaper sandwiched in between. Feeders and waterers. There will be a wire mesh top on each of these boxes (one for the broilers, one for the layers.)

I am ordering a chicken coop next Wednesday -- I've been into the place to ask questions and all, and delivery time is 4-6 weeks. This is for the layers and their rooster. The coop will have an outdoor run space, plus some electronet surrounding that space and their coop. The coop will be tall enough for me to stand in (to facilitate cleaning), and will have an epoxy floor. The coop will stand at least 8 inches off the ground (we get winter here). I also hope to get a chicken tractor for them, but I want one that is able to have nesting facilities as well -- even if they won't be laying eggs for awhile.

The broilers will get a 6 x 10 chicken tractor, and will be surrounded by electronet fencing so I can let them roam a bit more during daytimes. They won't need a house/coop.

I live in western Massachusetts. Anything else I should be thinking of?

I have starter feed for chicks, from Poulin Grain, although eventually I want to switch them to organic. No, I am not trying to go for organic certification, but I'd like to raise them reasonably so, for my own intent.

Anything I may be overlooking? I may not have remembered to mention everything here. I want to do right by these birds! My first time with chickens!

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Super Mod Staff Member

Hi , congrats! I don't buy into organic. With me it's unmedicated or medicated. But I keep a bottle of Corid here for cocci because it's common.

they need to be predator proof especially at night. If it gets cold by you , you need a coop. And rain soaked birds can't keep themselves warm.

Tractors are pretty small especially for 20 chickens.

Your brooder sounds fine!

3. Steinwand

Steinwand Active Member

Sounds great!! Welcome! Organic is great, you'll need corid, and other chicken medical supplies corid is the one you'll use most of all, um 1 tablespoon of vinegar in every gallon of water no more than a tablespoon they won't drink it, Mealworms when they get older! If they ever escape and you need them back in there pen just shake the bag and they'll come

4. Artemis_MA

Artemis_MA New Member

Would you prefer medicated or unmedicated for general chick starter feed?

There would be two tractors (both with roofs): one for the broilers and one for the layers. So, 9 and 11 birds each.

5. Artemis_MA

Artemis_MA New Member

Thanks for the pointers!!!

When would I start them on the touch of vinegar in their water?

6. seminolewind

I personally do not use anything with chick's but their food and water. No vinegar, no probiotics, etc. The food has all they need. I usually use unmedicated and have Corid on hand. I think it's because medicated feed is a preventative not a guarantee. Some people may think their sick chick can't possibly have Coccidiosis if they are on medicated feed. They can get it anyway.
    Make sure they have clean water .

My rule of thumb with adult chickens is 10 chickens should have at least a 10 x 10 foot pen. I could add a few more chickens to that if they are allowed to free range almost daily. But that's me.

7. Artemis_MA

Artemis_MA New Member

Thanks. Each set of chickens will also have 25' x 25' of electronet outside their housing (probably not squared off) which they will access nearly every day. The roofed tractor will be moved every 1 - 3 days.

The layers will have that coop (winter especially) but they will have a tractor, too. And they will start in the coop -- well after they are old enough to. In winter I know I can't use the electronet, or tractor them, so I will come up with additional permanent fencing beyond the run that is attached to the coop.

I do plan to use unmedicated foods. I will pick up the Corid to have on hand.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 7:34 AM
  8. seminolewind

Your setup sounds great! I should put my netting to good use.
    I like having Corid on hand because chicks get sicker so fast and cocci is so common.

9. Steinwand

Steinwand Active Member

I prefer unmedicated, the only reason I use vinager in the water is when they are outside and it keeps mold from growing on the inside