Chicken Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually buy my chicken food from the same feed store but this month I miscalculated and ran out. The store happened to be closed so I had to purchase feed from a different store. The problem is that the chickens won't eat it. I am annoyed because it was a 50lb bag that I purchased and do not want that food or my money to be wasted. Anyone have this happen to them? I am not too concerned that they will starve as the have a large run to eat weed, bugs, etc in as well as our scraps from food from the house and garden. I just didn't realize that my chickens were food snobs!

·
Registered
73 Posts
They will eat it. It might take longer but they will eat it. You could buy a bag of there old food and mix it to use it up.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Mine have done that too when I tried a couple different brands on them. Those bags lasted forever. They would eat it in bits here and there but for the most part learned to be a lot more efficient in foraging. ;) Funny how fussy even chickens can be about food. I love giving them a new treat and watching them inspect it, look at each other to see who's going to try it first, who the brave one will be, then see them all dig in after the treat passes the taste test. :D

·
Artfulwings
194 Posts
mine are that way about layena- nope, nada, they actually quit laying too- try dampening it, sometimes they will eat it that way- i just figure mine are gourmets!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts