Chickens: what can they eat?

Discussion in 'Article Forum' started by DuckRunner, Sep 4, 2017.

1. DuckRunner

DuckRunner Well-Known Member

It encourages them to eat their own eggs, and they could swallow a sharp egg shell and cause internal bleeding.

2. lover of birds

lover of birds Active Member

Feeding raw or cooked eggs is a myth that it encourages them to eat their own eggs.

I've cracked eggs that are too soiled/old (that I've found outside in nests) open right in front of them. No one has had the thought process that they could do the same with the eggs they lay in their nest boxes. They are just excited that whatever I'm doing is producing yummies they want.

DuckRunner likes this.

3. DuckRunner

DuckRunner Well-Known Member

You have truth in your words, but they other part is they could swallow a part of an egg shell, I have had that happen in one of my birds.

4. Slippy

Slippy Member

We have a pretty large veggie garden and yesterday I harvested some carrots, chopped the top of the carrot greens up very finely and scattered the chopped greens for my young chicks. They devoured the greens!

I've got some radishes to harvest soon and plan on chopping the radish greens up for another treat for the young pullets.

Thomas Lippert likes this.
  5. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Yep, they do love their green stuff. I keep bags of alfalfa around for all of my birds when I don't have fresh greens for them.

Thomas Lippert and Slippy like this.
  6. Slippy

Slippy Member

Robin,

What about watermelon rind?

Thomas Lippert likes this.
  7. MarkSmith

MarkSmith Member

Mine eat everything that has a slightest hint of color to it. Leave behind about half thickness green, dry hull.

Slippy and Thomas Lippert like this.
  8. robin416

Heck, I gave mine watermelon meat. My white birds would be a mess afterwards. I didn't do that often.

9. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

They probably won't eat the white part of the rind but no harm in letting them try it. I'm sure they will devour the meat though

10. Thomas Lippert

Thomas Lippert Member

My birds do. They love watermelon. Thinned out my carrots and fed the remains to them
    They loved them. I wasn't sure about my daikon radishes so those went over to my compost pile.

Slippy likes this.
  11. ephrona

ephrona New Member

Chickens love to eat their own eggs. Is there any way to stop them

12. Sylie

I have some issues with that list...
    They should not eat anything with sugar in it (bread, cake, pancakes, etc)
    They also should not eat dairy products, on rare occasions a little plain yogurt is okay but not milk, not sour cream, not whipped cream, not flavored yogurts etc.
    Many people give their chickens pasta, which is fine in small quantities but they should not have tomato sauce, alfredo is a no no, butter is a no no.
    Remember - no sugar, no salt, no mold
    Wilted is okay, mushy or bruised fruit and veggies are okay
    The list is quite large if you want to spend your day reading a list but mostly if you just remember no sugar, no salt, no mold, you're probably okay. Chickens usually and generally speaking, won't eat something that isn't good for them, they may swallow a piece of plastic or foam or something while checking to see if it's edible but they won't EAT it on purpose.
    Mine love to destroy foam insulation sheets but they don't eat it, they just peck holes in it and take chunks out. *eye roll* (weird birds I have)

Here is a list of good, healthy treats they can have:
    https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2019/08/healthy-chicken-treats-for-every-season.html

13. Sylie

Ephrona, you asked specifically about egg eating, not all chickens do it, I have had 2 chickens in my entire life that did it. It's not hugely common but it does happen. There really isn't a foolproof way to stop them from doing it once they get the taste for it. There are many suggestions online for things to try and believe me, I've tried most of them. I even went so far as to fill an empty egg shell with mustard (against my better judgement but I was told it was guaranteed to work and I was only in my 2nd yr of chicken keeping at the time lol) and put it back in the nest...the little bugger ate all of the mustard and the shell! Every last lick! She loved it! (I still shake my head on that one)

14. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

Collect the eggs often or get rid of the egg eaters, others will copy cat the egg eaters.

Thomas Lippert and robin416 like this.
  15. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

16. robin416

And of course all of our feed includes soybeans.