Chickens: what can they eat?

Discussion in 'Article Forum' started by DuckRunner, Sep 4, 2017.

1. DuckRunner

DuckRunner Well-Known Member

Chickens can eat a number of things, but sometimes they might eat something dangerous and you might not know it.

Things they can NOT eat:
    • raw eggs, it encourages them to eat their own eggs.
    • food with LOTS of salt, it kills them.
    • mouldy/rotten food, it could get them sick.
    • little citrus fruit is okay, but too much is bad for them.
    • raw beans, chokes them.

Things they CAN eat:
    Broccoli raw/cooked doesn't matter.
    Cauliflower raw/cooked doesn't matter.
    Bits of cooked beans.
    Tomato
    Cucumber
    Courguette
    Bread (not too doughy)
    Biscuit/cake
    Melon
    Cooked pasta

Brussels sprouts
    Pomegranates
    Peas (cooked)
    Yoghurt (plain recommended)
    Pumpkins
    Squash
    Milk
    Corn
    Apples
    Cooked eggs

Phew! That was a lot! Although your chickens can eat these, make sure that their feed is the thing they should be MAINLY eating.

If you don't know something your chicken can eat that I missed, just ask! IMG_4060.PNG

~ Runner

chickenqueen likes this.
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Meat. Yes, chickens are omnivores and eat veggies, fruit and meat.

Slippy and DuckRunner like this.

3. seminole wind

seminole wind Well-Known Member

My hubs gives them butter cookies every morning. They love him!

DuckRunner likes this.
  4. One Acre

One Acre New Member

I'm not home before they go into the coop at night so I feel bad about not giving them cracked corn or something to finish their day. I make up for it with some warm water-soaked cheerios in the morning with their feed a couple of times a week.

seminolewind likes this.
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

Instead of Cheerios which has alot of sugar in it, boil some plain white Minute rice (half cup white rice/half cup water,) add buttermilk to cool down the hot rice, stir...give it to your chickens. Your birds will scoff it up.
    Buttermilk is a much better probiotic than yogurt and is easily absorbed. Rice mixed with buttermilk settles the digestive tract and helps control diarrhea.
    Go easy on the cracked corn. We call it "crack" because chickens are addicted to it lol.

Slippy, One Acre, Maryellen and 2 others like this.
  6. Wilbur's Mom

Wilbur's Mom Active Member

Can I use regular milk or does it have to be buttermilk?

7. One Acre

One Acre New Member

Tried the minute rice this morning. They ignored it completely. Didn't have any milk in the house though so this may have swayed them. Thanks for the advice, though!

8. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised. It looks like maggots to them and shouldve chowed down.
    You've got them hooked on Cheerio's that's why. :rolleyes:

One Acre likes this.
  9. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

Regular milk really isnt a probiotic like buttermilk. However milk (also buttermilk) can be used in a temporary emergency situation if there's cocci infection present until corid or a sulfa drug can be used.

chickenqueen and Maryellen like this.
  10. Wilbur's Mom

Wilbur's Mom Active Member

Ok will remember that. Thanks dawg

11. One Acre

One Acre New Member

I usually have raw milk in the house. Still lots of yummy enzymes in there. Think it would work the same as probiotics.

seminolewind likes this.
  12. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Well-Known Member

Go easy on the
    milk - chickens are not built to digest much dairy. Also do not give them: avocadoes (poisonous), rhubarb (poisonous), leaves/stems of tomatoes/potatoes (poisonous), uncooked or raw beans (poisonous). There are several lists out there of poisonous stuff for chooks, I recommend you read them and commit to memory.
    Some 'poisonous' stuff is anecdotal, for instance rhubarb leaves. They are high in oxalic acid which is not good for them, but I had 2 hens that demolished my beautiful rhubarb plant within minutes! They survived with seemingly no ill effects....
    I'll also add that they should not have chocolate, alcohol or cigarette butts..you don't want them to start a life of unvirtuous habits...plus they are....you guessed it poisonous :)

13. One Acre

One Acre New Member

No Chocolate, Alcohol or Marlboros? I'd hate to be a chicken....

I've read up on the poisonous items for chickens and these won't be a problem. Thank you for the advice, though! All help is appreciated :)

14. seminole wind

seminole wind Well-Known Member

They might like rice pudding better. Maybe sprinkle a bit of sugar and nutmeg on top.
    It only takes one chicken to sample and like it. The rest see it and like chickens, no flock mate gets it all to themselves.

15. catharina.berge

catharina.berge New Member

I use the whey from making fresh or hard cheese for my chickens, works really well. Small quantities milk usually should be ok, just check to see how their poop looks

boskelli1571 likes this.
  16. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Well-Known Member

I give most of my leftovers to the chickens=meat,veggies,fruit and starches like bread,pasta and potatoes.They don't like peas and carrots but one day I watched my GLW's ignore the chicken and mashed taters only to start fighting to the death over lima beans.It was too funny!!!

boskelli1571 likes this.
  17. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

Mine loves peas, wont touch carrots.

18. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Well-Known Member

Winter treat - cooked oatmeal, fine chopped apple, dollop of plain yoghurt - then stand back unless you want to wear it :)

19. Sara Silver

Sara Silver Member

Really, no raw eggs? I've never chosen to feed mine chicken eggs in any form but I know plenty of other keepers that do. And of course, we know they will eat as many eggs as possible if we don't teach them not to or if one breaks... How are there not chickens keeling over sick or dead all the time??

20. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Well-Known Member

My dog and chickens eat raw eggs without ill effects but it's not a regular habit.I did quit giving Dale the beaters/bowl after mixing up a cake,just in case.