Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My chickens are not laying there eggs they are almost 1 year old and it winter they were doing good in the summer but about 2 weeks after halloween they stopped i want to put a heating lap out there but i cast so much $ any other thing i could try? Please gelp

·
Registered
575 Posts
You may not think it's winter but the hens don't know that. The days are shorter and there are less daylight hours. Chickens need 14 hrs if daylight per day to start their laying motors. If it is absolutely necessary for you to have eggs during the shortened hours of late fall into winter, add a timed light into your coop. Give them a couple extra hrs of "artificial" daylight per day. Within a couple weeks they should resume laying. But that too requires patience, it's not an "instant" remedy and it may not even work depends on your chickens. Sometimes they just need that break.

·
Registered
575 Posts
By the way I'm a newbie but I have read many posts about the topic. If you need more info read other posts.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Adding a timed light isn't that expensive usually less than $10.00. You can pick up a light timer for about $4 at a hardware store, then pick up a hanging utility light cord. You can get those at the Hardware store also, just ask the clerks or a worker to help u pick it out. By sure your light is totally secured and well hung so it won't fall and cause a fire.

·
39 Posts
this same thing happened to my chickens and there also like a year old. i went to tractor supply and talked to a lady that worked there. she told me to buy this stress stuff that you mix in with there water. this worked with mine because they were stressed because the change of weather and we also recently got rid of our alpha hen. your chickens could be stressed about the changing weather.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Holy cow!!! Greasy idea???? Where did that come from...oh I know...AUTO CORRECT! Wish I knew how t disable it! THAT IS A GREAT IDEA JIM..don't know if it was greasy or not guess it depends on if you were doing mechanic work before hanging the lights. Lol

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
minmin1258 said:
Holy cow!!! Greasy idea???? Where did that come from...oh I know...AUTO CORRECT! Wish I knew how t disable it! THAT IS A GREAT IDEA JIM..don't know if it was greasy or not guess it depends on if you were doing mechanic work before hanging the lights. Lol
lol, kinda figured, I read auto-correct quiet well

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have got 5 young hens that should start laying soon for me. I sure can not wait to see that happen. They seem to be interested in seeing what the older girls are doing and the eggs, they see fascinate them. My older girls are still laying just not as much. I have one that hasn't laid now for about a week, but she keeps looking at the nesting box, and then she looks at me like she knows she is suppose to do it, but can't. The other 2 are laying 1 egg each every 2 to 3 days. I don't mind as long as I have enough to bake with every so often.

Give your hens a few weeks break. Domino stopped laying for about 2 months after her sister passed away and now she is laying once every 2 days. The worst part is I almost culled her after a month of no eggs. Glad I didn't do it now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My chickens were old enough to start laying in early December but haven't laid yet. I am in Massachusetts. I know the shorter hours of daylight cause laying hens to slow their laying. Does it also delay when young hens begin to lay? I was really hoping to avoid outside lights because I'm afraid of starting a fire.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Well one of my little girls started laying yesterday. I still do not know which one but it was tiny and wasn't the same color as my RIR eggs. However it was so fragile it was pitiful. I almost cracked it just picking it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chickens loosing feathers

Why would my chickens loose feathers in cold weather? One started and about the time she was almost through another one has started. Does anyone know what could be causing this. They are about a year and a half, and have been healthy and happy so far.
Thanks for any ideas and help you all have.

·
Registered
104 Posts
probably just molting

Hi, my birds started dropping feathers like crazy about 6 weeks ago, they also stopped laying eggs at the same time. The birds lose their normal feathers and grow in heavier warmer feathers to suit up for cold weather. I added a light to the coop to extend artificial daylight, added some meal worms for treats to their normal layer pellet diet, and after about a month, they began to lay again. The feather situation is different for different birds. Some lose so many feathers they look poorly for a while, others like mine, just dropped tons of feathers but never looked that different.

·
Registered
575 Posts
They are probably in molt. It's normal for them to do this at least once a year. If you want to help them get through it just a little faster add a few high protein treats daily. It will help them form the new feathers faster. Try to avoid picking them up while they are growing their new feathers in because I have heard/read the "quill" stage is or can be a painful time for them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I wish I was getting that many eggs. I get 1 every 2 days and I have 5 chickens that are of laying age. Only my cream legbar and ameraucana are laying at the moment.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts