Chickens keep scatching out all the hay!

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by Shanebaby, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Shanebaby

Shanebaby New Member

They scratch all the hay out of the nest and then still lay an egg. I bought a bunch if chickens (15) from a guy and he said they were laying. But only three have laid so far. Will young chickens do this to a nest

2. BantamHero

BantamHero New Member

Are all your chickens young? Or do they differ in age?

3. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Pics of the nest boxes please.

4. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Some just don't like hay for their nest boxes. Mine didn't either. Bought once and never again. Now I just put wood chips same as on the floor. No problems since.

5. rob

rob New Member

hay is prone to insects and bugs, mine dont like hay at all

6. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

I've had hens do this. I would fluff up the boxes and they would pull almost everything back out again. I then tried the pine shavings and that would work, but every now and then a hen would get in there and scratch and most would get knocked out.

I did have success with dried grass clippings. I raked the grass into a pile and sun dried it, then lined the boxes. They ended up eating it over time, but they don't knock it out.

Hens know what they want, I wish they would listen to me, I know better.......right?

7. Shanebaby

Shanebaby New Member

Pine shavings like for hamsters? Like the stuff that comes in a small bale like package?

8. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

Or put a lip on the nest box so that the nesting material, or later, the eggs, can't be scratched out. It will take a few weeks for them to start back laying, they have to get used to the new home, and a new routine. Don't be disappointed if it is Spring before they start back!!

9. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

I buy my pine shavings baled from a farm store, it's about the size of a bale of hay and is usually used for horses or larger livestock.

I think the hamster ones are cedar and somewhere in the back of my head I read somewhere that you shouldn't use cedar for chicken bedding. I can't remember why though.......

10. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

The cedar oil can be toxic.

11. Shanebaby

Shanebaby New Member

I will post a pic of the boxes tomorrow. They do have a lip on them. My chickens are all different ages. Yes I read not to use cedar.

12. BantamHero

BantamHero New Member

There can be many different reasons why your chickens won't all lay!
    1.during the winter if you don't have a heat lamp or some sort of light some can be unwilling to lay..
    2.not being properly feed can cause issues (if you mix broken down oyster shells with the food it will help make your egg shell stronger)
    3. And of course age to young or to old!!

13. 1948daydreamer

1948daydreamer New Member

I tried Spanish Moss,thought it would be nice and soft. The chickens didn't like it. But,they seem perfectly happy with just plain old pine needles.

14. Pinkter

Pinkter Member

I use pine shavings from the feed store too. They are clean and work nicely.

15. Bluerooster

Bluerooster New Member

Spanish moss is full of chiggers. I use either hay, or pine shavings. Sometimes both.

16. Circle_U_Farm

Circle_U_Farm Member

My layers do the same thing with straw. They are searching for the wheat. I use pine chips in the nests and they leave it in there. I still use straw for the floor of the coops and they keep it all turned over nicely.