Chickens in Florida

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by 1948daydreamer, Sep 12, 2012.

1. 1948daydreamer

1948daydreamer New Member

Hey all, First let me say I can't believe I have joined a chicken forum. I have had chickens in the past,(fancy bantams),and have just recently retired and decided to get some more. I now have 10(8 adults,and 2 new babies)what I call junk bantams. They are of unknown breed,and just free roam around my 2 acres. I have a hen sitting on 13 eggs,so I will have more chicks soon. So here I am,just an old guy sitting in the yard watching my chickens.

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I can't think of anything better than being retired with chickens in Florida! Welcome to chicken land! I'm from NJ. I have a brother in North Ft. Myers, FL.

3. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Welcome ! And take some pics for us.

4. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

Hello from Alabama!

5. ricepaddydaddy

ricepaddydaddy New Member

Welcome from North Florida

6. PaulNeFl

PaulNeFl New Member

NE Florida

Chickens are a disease. LOL I started last August with 5... Now I have Silver Laced Wyandottes.... Blue Laced Red Wyandottes....Barred Rocks....Coronation Sussex...Silver Phoenix...Jubilee Orphington...Buff Orphington...Rhode Island reds...Swedish Flower... each breed to it's own pen...Love watching them and they love seeing me come out with treats...Now I have my first 20 Coturnix Quail just hatched...Time to regroup....Will take more pics and post them soon...

Attached Files:

7. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

They are addictive and we've got a couple around here who will help make certain you remain addicted. You will always find another breed you can't live without.

Welcome to the forum and keep us posted on what else new you picked up.

8. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum!!!Sounds like you have quite a collection of birds.You will fit in nicely here.

9. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

Welcome Paul. Chickens are a fun hobby and make wonderful pets. You have some nice chickens there!

10. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Barred Rocks are my favorites.

11. seminolewind

No kidding!

12. PaulNeFl

PaulNeFl New Member

Latest additions

Just added to my flock..Bob Whites started hatching...Went to the local Farm auction and got 3 Ayam Cemani 4 week old chicks and 12 hatching eggs...also 12 hatching Svart Hona eggs...Hoping my incubator does a good job the next few weeks :)

Attached Files:

13. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

And there we have it, another chicken addict. Keep us posted please, on how the eggs do. And since I've never even heard of Svart Hona's some picks of the real thing would be much appreciated.

14. seminolewind

Very cute. Sounds like you'll have a nice variety!

15. PaulNeFl

PaulNeFl New Member

Svart Hona

Svart Hona are "The other Black Chicken" Only DNA or an expert can tell them apart from Ayam Cemani without DNA testing...They have to be kept apart from the Ayams so they don't get mixed...I'll post pics of both as chicks in about 20 days I hope :)

16. seminolewind

Cool! Never knew that.

17. Hencackle

Hencackle New Member

Arrrgggghhhh! Some people have all the luck! Seriously, you did well. The Ayam Cemani and Svart Hona are the ones I would order if it fit my tight budget.

How about starting a thread devoted to your birds and post lots of pictures. That's about as close as I'll get to seeing those 2 exotic beeds in real life. Unless you sell hatching eggs next year, wink, wink?

Welcome to the forum, PaulNeFl
    Save
    Save
    Save

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  18. seminolewind