Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prolly the worst day ever! Put it this way my coop is 100% secure !! Chicken wire buried under ground top on it all secure! And everything locked up! I have 11 hens, well I did! Something got in I'm guessing a raccoon and killed all 11 of my hens!!! I am so MADD it's unreal I think I'm still in shock! Everything gone! I had such awesome hens and their all gone! And there is a chicken expo tomorrow at the big e and now I gotta start over from scratch!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
are you sure it was a ****. when i had a **** he only killed one at a time. but he did keep coming back. we had to kill him, with permission of DNR tho. he wiped us out one at a time.but he would carry them off or kill them and leave in a tree and come back later. so sorry for your loss. its infuriating.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Devastating. Such a terrible loss.

If your coop is really that secure it is probably not a raccoon but a weasel. Raccoons are smart enough to take one at a time. Weasels and minks leave your coop looking like a battle field with no survivors. They can squeeze through tiny spaces.

I know that won't help with your loss but may help you know what to address before getting more birds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So sorry for your loss. I haven't had this experience yet and hope I never do.

My chickens are free roaming and locked up at night in one of the stalls of a concrete block barn.
I only moved them in there because winter was approaching and wasn't sure how they would handle the snow.
I'm still a newbie and used to worry because we have owls, hawks, eagles, fox, coyote, skunks and raccoons.

I finally got through the airborne predator stage.. I have seen the foxes every now and then though but I've
finally gotten used to seeing them running through my fields, so far they have left my chickens alone....
Maybe my horses help serve as a deterrent.

June

·
Registered
64 Posts
several years ago we had similar trouble with Raccoons. But as mentioned before '***** will get only one a night.
Then we picked up a puppy, a Great Pyrineese puppy. Put her in the lot with the chickens, and raised her with them.
She grew up to become a very large white dog, that will protect everything on the farm from varmits. have had no problems since. Even from hawks.

·
977 Posts
So sorry KoKo. What a horrible mess to have to deal with. Was all your girls out there? My worst fear is for that to happen. I hope you find out what did this and take care of it for good.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Oh dear I'm so sorry for you!! This is my biggest fear! Do you have any idea how the varmit got in? My heart goes out to you and I'm terribly sorry!,! I know at this time nothing is going to make you feel better but you are in my prayers. Again I'm so sorry for the loss of your flock i know it must be heart wrenching!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes I am still very mad at what ever animal did this to my chickens and it killed every one in one night do you think it is a fisher cat or mink?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts