Chickens gone!!

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by Kokoschicks, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

Prolly the worst day ever! Put it this way my coop is 100% secure !! Chicken wire buried under ground top on it all secure! And everything locked up! I have 11 hens, well I did! Something got in I'm guessing a raccoon and killed all 11 of my hens!!! I am so MADD it's unreal I think I'm still in shock! Everything gone! I had such awesome hens and their all gone! And there is a chicken expo tomorrow at the big e and now I gotta start over from scratch!!

2. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

It looked like world war 3 but chickens!! I can't believe it!

3. kahiltna_flock

kahiltna_flock New Member

Oh, that is terrible. So sorry for your losses. I hope you can figure out how to keep it from happening again. Good luck

4. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Oh gosh I'm so sorry to hear this makes me mad and upset! I know you loved your chickens.

5. kimberley

kimberley New Member

are you sure it was a coon. when i had a coon he only killed one at a time. but he did keep coming back. we had to kill him, with permission of DNR tho. he wiped us out one at a time.but he would carry them off or kill them and leave in a tree and come back later. so sorry for your loss. its infuriating.

6. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

How horrific! I am so sorry!!! My heart goes out to you. =(

7. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

So sorry to hear your news...thats one of my biggest fears! Jen

8. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

Sorry?? *LIFE IS GOOD*! doesn't seem appropriate for this post??? It's just a part of my Avatar... Jen

9. Pinkter

Pinkter Member

I am so sorry. How horrifying to walk in on. Do you have weasels and skunks where you are?

10. Jim

Jim New Member

So sorry to hear of the loss.

11. havasu

havasu Active Member

I'm so sorry for your loss.

This is exactly what caused my chicken's demise as well.

I hate those raccoons!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  12. doubleoakfarm

doubleoakfarm New Member

Devastating. Such a terrible loss.

If your coop is really that secure it is probably not a raccoon but a weasel. Raccoons are smart enough to take one at a time. Weasels and minks leave your coop looking like a battle field with no survivors. They can squeeze through tiny spaces.

I know that won't help with your loss but may help you know what to address before getting more birds.

13. ladyhawk

ladyhawk New Member

So sorry for your loss. I haven't had this experience yet and hope I never do.

My chickens are free roaming and locked up at night in one of the stalls of a concrete block barn.
    I only moved them in there because winter was approaching and wasn't sure how they would handle the snow.
    I'm still a newbie and used to worry because we have owls, hawks, eagles, fox, coyote, skunks and raccoons.

I finally got through the airborne predator stage.. I have seen the foxes every now and then though but I've
    finally gotten used to seeing them running through my fields, so far they have left my chickens alone....
    Maybe my horses help serve as a deterrent.

June

14. rob

rob New Member

thats a terrible story, i cant imagine what that was like for you.

15. Bluerooster

Bluerooster New Member

several years ago we had similar trouble with Raccoons. But as mentioned before 'coons will get only one a night.
    Then we picked up a puppy, a Great Pyrineese puppy. Put her in the lot with the chickens, and raised her with them.
    She grew up to become a very large white dog, that will protect everything on the farm from varmits. have had no problems since. Even from hawks.

16. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

Hope you can get some revenge....

17. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

So sorry KoKo. What a horrible mess to have to deal with. Was all your girls out there? My worst fear is for that to happen. I hope you find out what did this and take care of it for good.

18. realsis

realsis New Member

Oh dear I'm so sorry for you!! This is my biggest fear! Do you have any idea how the varmit got in? My heart goes out to you and I'm terribly sorry!,! I know at this time nothing is going to make you feel better but you are in my prayers. Again I'm so sorry for the loss of your flock i know it must be heart wrenching!

19. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

Yes I am still very mad at what ever animal did this to my chickens and it killed every one in one night do you think it is a fisher cat or mink?

20. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

I am also setting 2 have a heart traps tomorrow and then once I catch it ill send my coon dogs after it!