Chicken Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Rest in peace Sunfish
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I see my chickens in the coop they are eating mouthful of pine shavings. Is it bad for them?

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
I doubt they're eating the pine shavings. They're rooting through looking for things to eat in the shavings. If they were eating pine shavings they would already be in trouble with impacted crops.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,793 Posts
I use aspen myself but yes, they DO eat them! A lot more often than I would’ve thought would be ok but so far no issues with anyone. But mine eat them too.

·
Registered
Rest in peace Sunfish
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I doubt they're eating the pine shavings. They're rooting through looking for things to eat in the shavings. If they were eating pine shavings they would already be in trouble with impacted crops.
No i actually saw them swallowing pine shavings

·
Registered
Rest in peace Sunfish
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use aspen myself but yes, they DO eat them! A lot more often than I would’ve thought would be ok but so far no issues with anyone. But mine eat them too.
Sometimes I think their crop is full of pine shavings and not their food but i dont know that because Im not with them the whole day.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,384 Posts
I saw them eating it though
Are you sure? I wouldn't let them eat too much then because they are harmful to them. It says they contain dangerous toxins that may cause serious harm to your chickens.

·
Registered
Rest in peace Sunfish
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you sure? I wouldn't let them eat too much then because they are harmful to them. It says they contain dangerous toxins that may cause serious harm to your chickens.
Yes I’m sure and I know that they shouldn’t eat it how do I stop them then

·
Wonderful Friend
1,793 Posts
I doubt they’re eating as much as it seems, or else they’d already be showing signs of distress.
You can try to get something other than pine, I use aspen bc it is a (slightly more) clean bedding- but there are many options. I’ve also been using pine needles on the ground due to mud lately- works good, cheap, and they don’t seem to mess with them other than to dig. I was giving them dumps of fall leaves once a week or so which they also loved. Just depends on what is available to you.

·
Registered
Rest in peace Sunfish
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I doubt they’re eating as much as it seems, or else they’d already be showing signs of distress.
You can try to get something other than pine, I use aspen bc it is a (slightly more) clean bedding- but there are many options. I’ve also been using pine needles on the ground due to mud lately- works good, cheap, and they don’t seem to mess with them other than to dig. I was giving them dumps of fall leaves once a week or so which they also loved. Just depends on what is available to you.
There is nothing else available I don’t have leaves. Also idk I you know like I see them eating a few pine shavings

1 - 12 of 12 Posts