Chicken Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with quail showing up to their coop/run? We have 9 chickens with a large coop and run. We live in MN, and I have noticed since the cold weather started, 6 quail, a mix of male and female have been squeezing through our predator fence. They hang out in the run during the day with my chickens, and a few times I have found them in the coop in the morning. We live on 15 acres with no neighbors so it’s highly unlikely they are domesticated. Any insight? Should we be concerned about illness being spread from the quail to my flock?

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
That is the wildest thing I've ever heard. Someone had to have turned them out. I have quail, if I open their big pen door they go out but come back to the pen. I had one show up two days later after he was done exploring and decided he didn't like it all that much.

·
Super Moderator
3,935 Posts
Certainly possible, probably not much risk. We have snow and twenty degree weather here right now in Ohio. Last week we had a Sherriff complaint about four turkeys chasing a jogger but they weren't my birds, just wild ones hanging out with my birds and taking food from the peafowl.

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
Something like that could only happen to you, PJ. That's a hoot. Guess the jogger needs to jog someplace else that doesn't have wild territorial turkeys.

·
Super Moderator
3,935 Posts
Something like that could only happen to you, PJ. That's a hoot. Guess the jogger needs to jog someplace else that doesn't have wild territorial turkeys.
Of course it could only happen to me! I did have a half hour conversation with our county game officer who has helped Fossil Ledges a couple times before.

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
It's a good thing to have them in your corner.

@JLSTETS the backstory on PJ's turkeys is that he also has Eastern Wild Turkeys. The wild EWTs come to try to steal his turkeys. So far, with this bunch, they haven't been successful.

So, it sounds like the jogger was blaming PJ's turkeys when it was actually the wild ones chasing him/her.

·
Super Moderator
3,935 Posts
Additional backstory: There was a time in the 1960s through 1970s when EWTs and almost all upland game birds were gone in Ohio, mostly due to coyote predation. The state went to a lot of effort to bring birds from other states and protect them while getting them re-established. That's why, in my opinion, we have some variation in the wild EWT population. Today, there remain strict laws protecting them and there are a number of protected wildlife lands and sanctuaries protecting them. Fossil Ledges is not the only one by any means. There are quite a few flocks around us. Ohio still provides protection and farmer's standing corn for the Canadian geese and many folks consider them to be a nuisance and aggressive. Most people enjoy seeing the EWTs and will take pictures etcetera but there is always the person who is going to be annoyed or afraid of them when they are displaying because they look large.

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
I remember reading that the numbers were low here too. But I don't remember what the time period was. They have since recovered because hunting is allowed once again and it's not unusual for me to have to stop to wait for a flock to cross the road in front of me.

·
Super Moderator
3,935 Posts
I remember reading that the numbers were low here too. But I don't remember what the time period was. They have since recovered because hunting is allowed once again and it's not unusual for me to have to stop to wait for a flock to cross the road in front of me.
Crossing the road is significantly better mannered than going after cars and chasing joggers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was able to snap a few photos this morning of them in our coop. They do startle easily but they have become used to us coming up to the coop whereas they used to all start flying and running into our predator fence
Grass Composite material Gas Wood Agriculture
Plant Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Grass

·
Super Moderator
3,935 Posts
They're waiting for the restaurant to open.

• Haha
Reactions: robin416

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
Are those Bobwhites? I really think someone turned them out. No chance would they have settled that quickly after having you moving around.

My quail will come to their pen door when they hear me because they know something good is on it's way.

It would truly be neat if you can convince them to stay. Looks like three males and three females. It's unusual for that many males to remain together.

·
Super Moderator
3,935 Posts
They do look really healthy and good, maybe they will stay, Spring will be the test.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is there a game farm near by?
I know there’s a community of pheasant in our area that are not native.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts