Chickens and Honey Bees

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by RDHelton1980, Jan 18, 2013.

1. RDHelton1980

RDHelton1980 New Member

I have a question may be a dumb one,but you don't till you do.I'm new to this forum and chickens I'm fenceing off my back yard the lot will be 200 ft long by 50 ft wide.Starting off with 25 chickens and two hives of honey bees.My question is will the chickens bother the bees or vice versa and is there any concern of mites the chickens will give to the bees.Hopefully someone has the same setup.Just come to thought I'm looking in into getting Australope or barred rocks.Looking for well mannered chickens and what repably place to get them from thinking of TSC.Tell me your thoughts and opinions.Thanks

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I don't think your bees and chickens will have any problem coexisting. I'm expecting you to keep them a respectable distance from one another. I don't have personal experience with this, but those are my thoughts.

3. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I don't think this will be a problem. Keep them a reasonable distance from one another and you should be fine. I don't have personal experience with this. It is just my opinion.

4. RDHelton1980

RDHelton1980 New Member

There going to be in the lot with the bees.What I'm really worried about them being on the hive and aggravateing the bees and get them all disturb.

5. Pinkter

Pinkter Member

I noticed bees were swarming around my feed. I read the ingredients and it contained molasses. I saw my chickens chasing them trying to eat them.

6. doubleoakfarm

doubleoakfarm New Member

When we get wild bees or wasp/hornet nests our chickens eat them. I've been considering bees, but my plan was to fence in the hives to keep my ladies from gobbling them all up. :)

7. piglett

piglett Senior Member

i would fence off a 10'x10' area (or maybe bigger)
    & put the hives in there, yes chickens like bees :)))

8. RDHelton1980

RDHelton1980 New Member

Thats looks like I'm going have to do fence my bees in a seprate lot.Back to the drawing board.

9. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

Really? They like bees? Crazy birds!

10. rwilly

rwilly New Member

Our chickens never bothered our hives, they were all around the hives scratching and doing their thing, I didn't see any of them going after the bees. Maybe the chickens just didn't realize they could be eating those tender morsels.

11. piglett

piglett Senior Member

they will jump up in mid air to catch a fly
    they are meat eaters, any kind of meat :p

12. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I think bugs are protein but don't qualify as meat. A small detail. Lol

13. piglett

piglett Senior Member

don't tell my chickens that :D

14. profwirick

profwirick Yaya

bees and chicks sharing garden space here now, too. please keep posting, so we can help one another figure out management as the season turns. hope someone will post who has been keeping both.

15. RDHelton1980

RDHelton1980 New Member

I will keep posting and some picture to,my bees will be here in the spring and my chicks.Hope to get started soon on the coop and fenceing evertime I get a chance to do anything the weather get bad giveing alot Ice tonite and tomorrow.