Chickens and Ducks together?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by Ame, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Ame

Ame New Member

Hi,
    I am fairly new to chickens. We have had them for about 2 years now. This month we are getting two or three baby ducks. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

I have never had ducks. But the one thing I've consistently read is how messy the ducks are and the mess they make in their pens. Most have found it better to separate the two to avoid illness in the chickens.

BTW, congratulations on the new additions.

3. 444lover

444lover Active Member

Yes ducks are very very messy. If the ducks are still ducklings you need to make sure the starter feed is designed for ducks or they could have health problems. If you get chick starter feed, it can't be medicated or it'll kill them.

4. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

I've had ducks forever. Messy doesn't even begin to describe it. water goes everywhere because of the "filter" on the underside of their beaks/jaw., their chests and feet (and surrounding floor, bedding etc) are constantly wet. They love making a mess in their swimming pool (everything surrounding their pool is always soaking wet) and they tend to lay eggs in the pool. Not always, not like a habit but I cannot tell you how many eggs I've found on the bottom of the pool lol!!

I'm not trying to discourage you from getting them, just letting you know what you are in for. Constant mud, if you have bedding in their pen (I use pine shavings in their run during the winter to insulate their feet from frozen ground) they will be a frozen for about 2 feet from the bowl's edge lol. Ducks are awesome, I love my ducks to death and don't regret getting them, I just wish they weren't so dang messy! lol

congratulations in advance and have a blast with the little critters

Maryellen and 444lover like this.