Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since getting my chickens, I have become very aware of some of our english (american) idioms that are rooted in chickens. The other day, one of my neighbor's chickens was out and foraging in my front yard. I stepped outside, we eyed each other, then I walked towards her, and she "hightailed it outa there". I also don't think that I would mind "getting my feathers ruffled", since when my girls squat at my feet, and I give them a back rub, their feathers get Very ruffled. What phrases that we use have you noticed must have their roots in chicken flocking??? :rolleyes: :p

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good one, keep'em coming. The "hen-pecked" hubby is an obvious one. I've thought of, and forgotten a bunch more. "Cocky" comes to mind.

·
Backyard Breeder
1,329 Posts
The other day I saw a couple of cute chicks walking by and feeling cocky I gave a wink and started strutting my stuff. My wife got madder than a wet hen. I ask her whats the matter, you got something stuck in your craw? She started squawking about me thinking I'm a chick magnet or the cock of the walk and got her hackle feathers raised up. I can be a birdbrain sometimes but I'm no dumb cluck. Roosters rule the roost but hens rule the rooster! I've been walking on egg shells ever since.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Something about this thread just sticks in my craw. Maybe I'm just depressed because I make chicken feed and don't have enough scratch to feather my nest here.

It would help if the wealthy weren't crowing about what they make and have all the time, but then, that's what happens when they let the fox guard the henhouse in this country, I guess.

:D

ETA: Purely for literary purposes and has no real meaning in my life, you understand. I'm perfectly content in my life and never brood over such things as the economy and lack of material gain. ;)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
addicting isn't it, like a hen on scratch. (we can be inventive here, can't we?)

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
We also knew that a bad egg always floats to the top...meaning a bad person will always reveal their true nature sooner or later.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts