Chickens and Canada geese

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by Ckerr, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Ckerr

Ckerr New Member

My chicks (born April 1,2020) are free ranging but I share my yard with a gaggle of Canada geese. Do I need to worry about diseases from these wild birds affecting the flock?

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Not really but you do have to worry about the geese being aggressive towards the chickens. Yes, they could have a disease but any migrating bird can. The only way to prevent it is to keep the chickens locked up in a secure building which is no life for a chicken.

We have a forum member who had a bunch of headaches with them and how they behaved around his ducks.

Sylie likes this.

3. Ckerr

Ckerr New Member

Thanks for your reply-much appreciated.

4. Deborah Formosa

Deborah Formosa New Member

I have to keep my flock in a fenced enclosure with their chicken houses I made sure they had plenty of room 7.4 ft. Per chicken too many predators in my area. Whare I used to live high up in the mountains I had heard, mountain lions, raccoons and eagles along with packs of feral dogs here I have predators also cyoties , foxes, raccoons, hawks, owels and feral dogs and cats the feral population is the worst to contend with. I would love to let them free range however they would all be killed mainly by the farel cats.

Thomas Lippert likes this.
  5. Deborah Formosa

Deborah Formosa New Member

Bears not heard auto correct uggg

6. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

lol autocorrect is such a pain in the patoot!

Thomas Lippert likes this.