Chickens and Bird Feeders

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering' started by Closed Flock, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

We have Barred Owls that hunt the pastures behind the barn. Here at the Sanctuary, we are also Ohio Wildlife Rehabilitators and have fostered a couple owls over the years that were hit by cars. Owl behavior is very interesting. In some cultures, domesticated owls are popular.

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

I have no idea what we have here. I've never seen any of them, just heard them off in the distance.

Poultry Judge likes this.

3. Closed Flock

Closed Flock Member

Here is where three of four games that previously roosted in woods are at each night. Dog sleeping below at time of photograph although most of time he is out in yard and near orchard where most of penned birds are kept.
    IMG_0420.JPG
    Fourth chicken is on a shelf to right of view. Eviction and cleanup are tonight.

robin416 likes this.
  4. Poultry Judge

Ride to live, live to ride!

5. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

And they say chickens aren't smart.

6. Poultry Judge

They may come back after the eviction.

7. Closed Flock

Closed Flock Member

Eviction leads to relocation into confinement. Each will be given a pen in which to reside.

8. Poultry Judge

I deal with a number of hardened bustout birds, no pen will hold them!

9. Closed Flock

Closed Flock Member

M
    My pens could hold a wild Turkey or even a jungle fowl, although the birds would damage themselves. The adult games can kill themselves by panicking and flying up against pen ceiling, but they can not escape.

10. Poultry Judge

Mine are spoiled, they have an open coop, netting and several thousand square feet of run, only the turkeys are still interested in getting out in the winter.

11. Closed Flock

Closed Flock Member

My singly penned birds have about 20 square feet per bird. Free range they access readily about 2 acres and could go three times that when they feel need. They would cover much more if feeding station not filled for a couple days. Bird feeders really tightening up their ranging habits.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  12. Poultry Judge

13. Closed Flock

Closed Flock Member

All free-range games penned last night. Will now see who is eating all the peanuts and spilling large amounts of millet from feeders chickens not supposed to access. A single American Dominique stag is still out, but I doubt he has the intellect or physical ability needed to access the feeders. Once I get the games imprinted on their new roost locations they will be let out again to see who is doing the excess eating. I will also put out a game camera to record visitors to check for large flock of starlings. Either way, the games were spending a lot of time below the feeders that were being emptied out too fast.

14. Poultry Judge

That is an interesting mystery!

15. Siobhan

Siobhan Member