Chicken training

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by Irina Penanen, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

You can use the yummy treats for specific training but take out some scratch grain or something similar to get them conditioned to coming to you. My birds are so spoiled, the ducks intuitively know what the different treats are and only come for the yummy ones!

Irina Penanen and Overmountain1 like this.
  2. Irina Penanen

Irina Penanen Member

Your ducks trainceptioned themselves! I'll see if I have any extra grains to give them, otherwise there's always their feed.

Poultry Judge likes this.

3. Poultry Judge

A big bag of scratch grain lasts a long time if you take it out a cup at a time. Only feed what they will clean up in five minutes or so. I have almost fifty birds so I use a big plastic travel mug and they clean it up in about three minutes or so. They have access to all their other regular rations 24/7.

Irina Penanen likes this.
  4. Irina Penanen

Irina Penanen Member

I don't have any scratch grain- their normal rations are called scratch and peck and that's all I have. Maybe I'll get some scratch next time they need more regular food.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  5. Poultry Judge

Just something with a variety of seeds will work.

6. Irina Penanen

Irina Penanen Member

7. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Active Member

Yup! One of the most favorite mixes in our yard is one for cardinals- ha! Truthfully it’s millet, peanuts, black sunflower seeds, little dried fruit bits, and maybe a couple other things I’m not thinking of, but- they go nuts! I also have a bag of scratch, and mealworms, and and and- you’d think we vary their diet from meal to meal with all the stuff I’ve got by now, but truthfully, we don’t give them a whole lot. (Most days we don’t, anyway! )

YES they get conditioned!! Good grief- there are a couple times a day I have to be especially careful bc mine all think they’re automatically gonna get something; they will follow me to the ends of the earth- at a sprint! And then crowd around to stare at me and make me wonder if I have a sunflower seed on the end of my nose... or whether they’re plotting my eminent downfall.

Poultry Judge and Irina Penanen like this.
  8. Irina Penanen

Irina Penanen Member

You never know with those raptors.

Poultry Judge and Overmountain1 like this.
  9. Poultry Judge

Yum!

10. Poultry Judge

But you can win them over with food!