Indiana Chicken sweaters

Discussion in 'Products / Feed / Coops' started by loriall, Jan 13, 2015.

1. loriall

loriall New Member

Does anyone know any manufacturers of sweaters that chickens can wear?

2. littlelimabean

littlelimabean New Member

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Funny, I've had two people post pics of chickens in sweaters this week. =) Pulled up the etsy link from littlelimabean and there they are. Very cute!

4. littlelimabean

littlelimabean New Member

This is a video from several years ago. Its really heart-warming. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRZHCpqbtiY&NR=1[/ame] I actually still had it booked marked in my computer. I think it is such a sweet video of some rescued hens and sweaters!

5. ANOPIA

ANOPIA New Member

What would cause a Chicken to loose its feathers? What do you do to maintain feather health/ sheen?

6. ANOPIA

ANOPIA New Member

AND do these come in baby chick size for the winter?

7. nannypattyrn

nannypattyrn Well-Known Member

Actually, If you have chicks in a brooder box with a lamp, they don't need anything but what mother nature gave them. You run the risk of getting them too hot.

8. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Chickens molt feathers to allow for new, healthy feathers to grow. It's a normal thing and unless something else is going on with your flock shouldn't be a problem.

And what Patty said, do not put sweaters on peeps. Their auto temp regulator is not fully formed yet and you could kill them quickly by over heating them.

9. Feline

Feline New Member

In the UK a few years back there was a big things where lots of people were knitting chicken sweaters for newly rescued battery hens. They looked awesome and people really enjoyed making them with all their leftover wool.
    But then the BHWT (British Hen Welfare trust) who arrange many of the rehoming days around the country here announced they didn't recommend their use because of the overheating issue and so people stopped using them. I was quite sad to discover I couldn't knit for my new chickens after all :D

I rescued my first batch in November 14 and although they looked awful feather wise they didn't seem to suffer with the cold and soon grew new feathers.
    Here was my Henrietta the day I got her:
    [​IMG]Henrietta by Lara Day, on Flickr

10. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

That poor bird. I'm so glad she found a new home with you.

11. ANOPIA

ANOPIA New Member

Big Thanks to all for the information.