Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FIRE!!!! HELP!!! My hen was in a coop fire and she has a few burns but then the other chickens attacked her when I was not home and the kids put them together. She looks bad. I have washed her wounds with bateadine and have been putting neosporine on her wounds. Is there an antibiotic that I should get for her?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm sorry but I don't know the answer to your question. I just wanted to wish you well & your poor chicken. If it's that bad just keep her comfortable in a quiet place as she prob very stressed. How is she now? :(

·
Administrator
20,616 Posts
Got a vet you can go to? Because of the burns and no pics I'm going to suggest you get her in asap. Burns are much more dangerous than what the other hens did to her. She might need fluids, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Her burns look really good. Its her back that looks nasty. No vet around here that deals with chickens.

·
Administrator
20,616 Posts
You've done exactly right so far. The only thing you might want to add is Pedialyte unflavored to her waterer for a couple of days.

Watch closely for infection. There should be no smell at all. And if you become concerned that there are changes you are worried about please think about posting a pic or two. That are very helpful when we can see what is going on.

And would you relate to how extensive her burns were? And where they are. Burns are a very serious concern. While her wounds may not look bad the extent of the burns could very easily kill her, even if they do not look like much to you.

·
Administrator
20,616 Posts
What you need and don't wait to get it, is some antibiotic eye ointment. You can get it from the feed store or co-op or if your vet trusts you can probably get it from them. Explain the situation. You need to put that in her eyes and apply some to the lids.

Put a 325 mg aspirin in a one gallon waterer, it will help reduce the pain and inflammation.

I never dreamed it involved her face and could compromise her eye sight.

I hope this resolves without permanent damage that affects her quality of life. Her eyes are what I'm most concerned about and her respiratory system if she inhaled any of the fire or smoke.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did contact my dogs vet and they did give me antibiotic eye ointment for her and her back looks so much better today. Thanks for all the information. You guys have been helpful. She is perkier today. I will keep you updated.

·
Administrator
20,616 Posts
Please do. You've done very well with her.

Since you've got her in the house I wouldn't put any more antibiotic ointment on the burns. That can hold heat in. But do put the new ointment in her eyes and on her lids.

Did they give you any other tips?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Get some vetrcyn. It is a spray that works wonders. My rooster was involved in a dog attack and I cleaned his wounds and used the vetrcyn. He is doing ok.

·
Administrator
20,616 Posts
A wound from an opening in the skin and a wound from a burn are very different injuries.

I've looked at this product in the past and while I see testimonials from users and many, many references to it by the company, I found nothing from any other agency that can back up the claims.

The fact a friend used the product on one of her birds without improvement makes me even more skeptical.

·
Administrator
20,616 Posts
Which is good. Burns are way different than a puncture/tear kind of injury and needs to be approached cautiously when treating.

The Betadine you used on her was absolutely the right thing to do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She is doing great and is laying eggs. The eye ointment worked wonders. She is a happy hen. Ill post picks later.

·
Administrator
20,616 Posts
She is doing far better than I thought she would.

Great to hear the ointment has made things easier for her.

Most of this is being able to stand back and assess. I make it sound easy but that is your greatest tool. Chances are you would have gotten to the ointment idea, if you knew it existed.

·
Administrator
20,616 Posts
Amazing how much she's improved in such a short time.

Watch to see if she can close her eyes completely, if scar tissue forms that could end up being an issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am amazed she is recovering so fast. She is a very loved chicken. She is looking so good and her plucked back is looking good also.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Oh my goodness poor girl! What did you end up giving her for pain? Her improvement is remarkable you have done a fabulous job nursing her along. She looks like a sweet buff orpington.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts