Chicken Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I’ve had chickens for 25 years and I now have a situation I‘d like advise on. Last winter a raccoon killed all my chickens. This was the first time in 25 years that it’s happened. They were sleeping in the rafters of a 20 x 20’ building and still were eaten. I got six new chicks this spring and they didn’t have anyone to learn from and took to sleeping in the trees about 20 feet up as soon as they were old enough to run free. I live in central Ohio and it’s now getting cold but they still insist on sleeping in the tree. I can’t catch them during the day or get them at night because they are so high up. Will they be OK outside in the winter? I thinking not. My only other option is to buy a net and catch them, but I’d have to lock them up indefinitely and I’d rather not do that. Plus there’s a possibility they may get eaten in the building and I think they’re safer up in the trees. Any help appreciated.

Sky Building Window Twig World

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frostbite would be the biggest concern. Are they large combed birds? Those suffer the most.
[/QUOTE
Frostbite would be the biggest concern. Are they large combed birds? Those suffer the most.
They are Rhode Island reds, bard rocks, and Americanas. I’m going to buy a net but they’re gonna hate being locked up for the foreseeable future. Our winters are generally not bad but sometimes it can get very cold.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts