Chicken Forum banner

chicken poop smell

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  rob 
#1 ·
does anyone have a remedy for cutting down thwe smell of chicken poop starting to really smell bad:confused::confused:

#2 ·
theres another thread going around about this subect. here's what I did.
I added the crushed limestone was because the rain would
cause my run to be a stinky swamp you could smell it 100 feet or more away, I had unhappy neighbors. so I added the 4 tons which made the limestone 4 inches deep, I left the area under the coop dirt thats where the ladies do their dust bathing and enjoy the shade on hot days.
I dont scoop poop anymore because when we have thunderstorms/rain or heavy rain like we did last night it washes all the dropping down the 4 inches and into the dirt it's almost like a filtering system plus the limestone is good for my girls they still peck and get bugs in and on the stone the funny thing I have noticed is black beetles crawling in and on the stone and the ladies love em
all I do is rake the stone out once or twice a month because my girls still like digging holes. I am 100% happy with the decision I made to cover the run in crushed lime stone. remember if you add it make sure its a minimum of 3 inches deep otherwise it wont do much good.also without rain the dropping that are on the stone dry up and don't smell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.