Chicken pellets

Discussion in 'Announcements and Support' started by Elizabeth20, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Elizabeth20

Elizabeth20 New Member

Hi I am new to this forum.
    I have kept chickens on a farm before, but now I live in a built up area, I have bought 2 Silkies. One laid her first egg yesterday. However they will not eat chicken pellets. Neither growers or layers.
    I feed them a mixture of mixed corn, bread, vegetables, mealworms, grit and oyster shell However, I feel they are not getting the proper vitamins etc that they should be.
    Anybody got any advice please ?

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Crumbles. Most pellets are too large for the bantams to eat. So unless you're in Europe and have large fowl Silkies you're going to have to switch them to crumbles.

You're right, they probably are not getting the right balance of vitamins, minerals and protein.

3. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree with Robin, try crumbles. If you don't want to waste the pellets that you already have, crush them up so they are more manageable size for the little beaks :) If they still won't eat that, let us know, we'll give you some other options but try crumbles first.
    Welcome!!

4. MarkSmith

MarkSmith Member

I burned through a bag of pellets by simply adding water. They ate them up quick! And it’s much faster compared to crushing them finer.

robin416 likes this.
  5. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

LOL My go to for a downed bird was to wet the feed. Never even gave it a thought to wet it just to get healthy birds to eat it.