Chicken Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 week old buff orpington pullet that is always panting. Another thing i've noticed is that this pullet will make a "honking" sound like a goose if another chicken jumps on it, or I surprise it. Her face is a bit redder than the other two's, and shes probably the heaviest one. Is this panting just because of the heat? It is around 85F right now. Should I be on the look out for any more symptoms, or will she be fine? This is my first time with chickens so I'm not sure what is considered normal.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
No 7 wk old chicken should be panting and honking from the heat unless they are horribly overweight. Could you post a pic?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sure, I'll get a pic up soon. For what it's worth, She doesn't appear overweight. If it isn't the heat then could she be in pain?

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Panting in the heat and humidity can be normal, though I've never seen it in one so young unless it was a Cornish Cross, which is another breed of cat altogether.

Some chickens are born with internal problems and you can never know about them until they age and heat/stress can bring them out. She could have had a heart defect from birth and it's just now showing up...who knows?

If she is having heat stress and the others don't appear to be doing so, could be she has some defect that is causing it. Provide shade, cool fresh water, good airflow and fresh feed and that's about all you can do for chickens in the heat, and if the rest are acting normally, it's good enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts