Chicken Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I got my first 2 hens and a rooster 2 days ago. They are desi misri chickens and are supposed to lay an egg each day. However, one of the hens laid on the first day but the other one didn't. I also made a nesting box for them out of milk crates but they haven't given any eggs since two days.

Your help will be highly appreciated!
~Haadi

·
Administrator
22,348 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Haadi.

It's not unusual for birds to stop laying when they've been moved to a new home. They will quit being moved to a new coop on the same property.

The one egg is because it was ready to be laid and there was nothing she could do to stop it. Give them about a month, they should get back into their laying pattern.

BTW, were you sent here by a mutual friend?

·
Super Moderator
3,887 Posts
Yes, what Robin said, give them a minute to get adjusted. Remember one hen will be dominant so arrange their nest boxes so they are both comfortable with them and that will maximize your egg production. Then, they will probably use the same box anyway LOL.

Reactions: Haadi Badar

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum, Haadi.

It's not unusual for birds to stop laying when they've been moved to a new home. They will quit being moved to a new coop on the same property.

The one egg is because it was ready to be laid and there was nothing she could do to stop it. Give them about a month, they should get back into their laying pattern.

BTW, were you sent here by a mutual friend?
Thanks for the help @robin416. I'll wait for a month and no, I wasn't sent here by a friend. I found the forum by searching for online poultry help forum.

·
Administrator
22,348 Posts
We have another here from Lahore, that's why I was wondering if he sent you to us. Odds of that happening are so small.

Yes, being able to learn about birds that are easily available in other countries is always a treat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have another here from Lahore, that's why I was wondering if he sent you to us. Odds of that happening are so small.

Yes, being able to learn about birds that are easily available in other countries is always a treat.
Hi @robin416 ,
Thanks for all the help.

And BTW these are my chickens:
x1 White Bantam Rooster
x2 Desi Misri Hens

·
Administrator
22,348 Posts
I can't quite decide what your rooster is but that is no surprise coming from me. I struggle with anything I haven't raised.

From what I can see you've got a great setup for the birds.

Will the Desi Misri hens go broody and hatch for you?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't quite decide what your rooster is but that is no surprise coming from me. I struggle with anything I haven't raised.

From what I can see you've got a great setup for the birds.

Will the Desi Misri hens go broody and hatch for you?
Thanks & @robin416 they should go broody and hatch but at the moment I'll collect the eggs as we don't want chicks.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
That desi on the right side of the picture is a rooster isn't it? Compare it's comb and wattles to the one on the left.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
I used photo enlarge to check that one, they are definitely different, I'm just not sure if it's because of age or gender.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
I could be wrong but you know gender determination is my thing lol. But I have been wrong before.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
hahaha...example 1...hamburg hen

1 - 17 of 17 Posts