Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my husband just made me a 5gl. bucket waterer with the chicken nipples on it. Only have 7 hens but can't seem to get them to drink from it. How do u get them to drink from them?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I would go in and flick them several times a day. Just to show them. Once you get one interested in using it they follow suit!

·
rich386
83 Posts
If you are using vertical nipples make sure it is high enough. Slightly above their heads. Remove any other source of water. That should do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. We removed the other waterer and kept playing with the new 1. Now I saw everyone at it drinking so I think we r good now!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am interested in making a bucket nipple waterer, anyone have any cold weather suggestions? It can get below zero here, I was planning to get a heated waterer, do nipple systems exist with heaters?

·
rich386
83 Posts
I am interested in making a bucket nipple waterer, anyone have any cold weather suggestions? It can get below zero here, I was planning to get a heated waterer, do nipple systems exist with heaters?
My company does not make one but lots of customers add bird bath heaters to the bucket.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My husband made me one of the chicken watering systems with nipples. It took my chickens 1 day to figure it out. I took the old water bowl out, I stayed with them to make sure they knew where the new water was & and what it was. I would flick the medal part of it so they could hear it and see the drops of water. That got their attention. My youngest hen, Probie is always the first to try anything new in the coop and coop area. It wasn't long before they all followed Probie to the waterer :) The best part... no more messy water, it's always clean & much healthier for them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Lol...I just got two as well...fab idea...my two girls have not cottoned on to yet either (day 3) so tomorrow we will remove the water dishes and hope that does the trick. They have both pecked the nipples on separate occasions but didn't have huge drinks or anything. They are free range but in the coop at night. Fingers crossed. ImageUploadedByChicken Forum1396079995.037117.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Chicken Forum

Attachments

·
rich386
83 Posts
So my husband just made me a 5gl. bucket waterer with the chicken nipples on it. Only have 7 hens but can't seem to get them to drink from it. How do u get them to drink from them?
If you are using vertical nipples make sure it is high enough. Slightly above their heads. Remove any other source of water. That should do it.
As it says just remove all other water no matter what type nipple you use.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm really liking all I hear about the chicken nipples. I have the pail. Just wondering where is the best place to get the nipples? My local feed store doesn't carry them

·
Backyard Breeder
1,329 Posts
I just finished adding a nipple bar to the new coops. I ran the supply line underground and tied it into the main system.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
I argued with my horizontal nipples and finally put in vertical nipples. Not enough water getting through.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts