Chicken Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw the funny thread about chickens looking up and got me thinking about all the misconceptions, wrong stories and old wives tales being passed around.

What untrue stories/information do you often hear?

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
Chickens are just stupid.

Wow. Is that one wrong. Yes, there are some stupid chickens out there, but sometimes they are down right clever.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
lol I agree with Roslyn, I have heard that chickens are stupid but I beg to differ. Sure I have a rooster that seems to be dumb as a box of rocks but the rest of the flock is pretty smart.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Abbie (RI) loves to play tricks on my german shepard. I've found chickens to be as trainable as a dog is too. Just a matter of how much time you give them same as any other animal. As for madder than a wet hen? I don't get that one. Mine love to be in the rain just so long as its not a torential down pour. ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
All roosters are mean. That is like saying all men are mean.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There are many misconceptions, wrong stories and old wives tales being passed around.
Usually when a person tries to list a few there will be people who actually believe them.
Nothing can change their minds.

·
Banned
16 Posts
2 of my favorites:

Hens must have a rooster to lay eggs.

Some eggs look brown because they haven't been washed like the ones at the store.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My favorite is that they're stupid. My birds are NOT stupid! In fact today I was sitting out there in the rain while they stood in the doorway of the coop...you tell me who the stupid one is! Ohh...wait....I think I just called myself stupid :-( lol

My point is, my birds are inquisitive, they solve problem and like to play. Their instincts are spot on! None of those things point to stupidity.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Our White Rock Roo got between my daughter and the Plymouth Rock Roo who was coming at her. (The PR has just started free-ranging & is nearly blind in both eyes. He reacts strangely to movement.). The WR knows us & trusts us around his harem. He's a good boy & is letting the PR know the rules. That's smart!

·
Registered
42 Posts
There used to be a website from Australia, the guys name was Chris Something, he was studying chicken communication. He had several audios of different calls. They are FAR from stupid. Worth a Google.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts