Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MommaHen
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am new to raising chicks but this forum caught my eye. What exactly does it mean for a chicken to "go broody".

I get that it has something to do with maybe when she's ready to sit on eggs. Can someone explain the behavior ? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
and they sit and sit and sit ... and get ornery sometimes if you try to take them off that nest ... :D

·
MommaHen
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apyl said:
Broody is when a hen sits on eggs to hatch them.
Ok. What if we take her eggs for eating? Will they do this as well if there is no rooster? If so, then what?

Does she refuse to get up?

·
MommaHen
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
7chicks said:
and they sit and sit and sit ... and get ornery sometimes if you try to take them off that nest ... :D
Oh wow! A chicken with an attitude! Hormonal? LOL

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Josie lets me take her eggs fine. She just goes and checks out the other nest boxes after the other girls are done and sits on theirs then. (until I can grab them) I have no roo so they can still go broody. Lilah (australorp) was persistent for about 2 weeks last summer. I just kept taking her out of the nest box and blocked her from them. She only went broody once on me. She'll be 2 this May. Josie (ameraucana) has been broody off and on for about 3 months. She'll be 1 in May. My barred rocks or rir have never been broody. Both of those breeds will be 3 this year. Hope this helps answer your questions. :) If you have more, ask away.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Oh wow! A chicken with an attitude! Hormonal? LOL
Lilah was horrible when she was broody! Oh she'd scream at me if I tried to take her away from that nest! :eek: She has one heck of a nasty scream too. Felt so sorry for her. Kept telling her she didn't have no boyfriends she couldn't have no babies. ;) I'm sooo glad she only went through that stage once ... so far anyway. :D

·
MommaHen
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
7chicks said:
Lilah was horrible when she was broody! Oh she'd scream at me if I tried to take her away from that nest! :eek: She has one heck of a nasty scream too. Felt so sorry for her. Kept telling her she didn't have no boyfriends she couldn't have no babies. ;) I'm sooo glad she only went through that stage once ... so far anyway. :D
Lol. Sounds like a teenage girl throwing a tantrum and saying she wants a baby.

I have 4 Dominique pullets and would like to get 4 of another breed (maybe buff Orpingtons) I want docile hens. I may get a roo as well so we have the option of babies and some protection for the ladies.
I also have 4 of what I think is a Cornish cross who won't be around more than a few months.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Ex-batts are chickens that were production chickens kept in small battery size cages. It's industrial farming at its "best". And a terrible life. These are retired hens that people can "rescue" from these awful places. Ex-batts get a second chance at a descent life.

·
MommaHen
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Energyvet said:
Ex-batts are chickens that were production chickens kept in small battery size cages. It's industrial farming at its "best". And a terrible life. These are retired hens that people can "rescue" from these awful places. Ex-batts get a second chance at a descent life.
That's awesome! Every human and animal deserves a chance. I work in Public Health and we do see rescues sometimes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts