Chicken Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soo.. I saw some lice on my chickens last night. I've been scouring the Internet since trying to figure out how to treat them. So many conflicting remedies I'm confused and overwhelmed. My birds are for eggs only, no meat birds! What do you use? De? Frontline? Sevin dust? Help please!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I bought some frontline spray at my work today.... Do I spray them with it or use it as a spot on lol.

·
174 Posts
I had the same problem just recently. I used the "natural" methods as described on Fresh-Eggs-Daily website/blog. I gave them baths and a soak in vinegar and Dawn soap and then dusted them (after I blow dried them) and the coop (nesting boxes, roost bar, and corners of coop) with Food Grade DE (subsequent dustings 2x week). I just use an old washed blush brush and dip it in DE and dust their vents, in front of tail, behind neck and under wings. Also, added garlic to their feed to deter future bugs. I bought the garlic spray on Amazon and plan on using that on them/in the coop to deter bugs too. Good luck!

·
Kerri
1 Posts
A few of mine have lice, too. Tried wood ash bathing, but that didn't seem to work, so am on to DE now. Seems to have decreased the infestation. I don't want to use chemical treatments on them. My question is- how long should it take to be rid of all of the lice eggs? By the time I discovered they had lice, one of my girls had piles of little eggs at the base of her feathers around her vent, and they are still there 2 weeks later, despite treatments.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
You'll need to drown those nit eggs in something like Nustock to prevent them from hatching. It's messy but effective.

You can also use Pyrethrin dust..it is all natural and won't have you eating any chemicals that can make you have three-eyed children. It can kill the nits and the lice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts