Chicken Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little kids around here play airsoft. Thats air guns that shoot plastic pellets. There are literally hundreds of small plastic pellets all over my back yard. I want to let my chickens free range but am scared too because of these pellets. Can a chicken eat the pellets without harm?

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
My son had a pellet gun that he used to shoot rats for me and there were thousands of the plastic pellets through the yard. Yup, the chickens ate them, and it was quite funny to see the bright yellow pellets inside the piles of poo. They went straight through them.

The same thing happened when they consumed a board of sheet insulation. Little blue foam pellets in piles of poo. Yum.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
I have a couple of questions.

Are they your kids? Do they have permission to play on your land? Do you know what type of BB's they use?

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Yes, inert things will pass with no long term effects. That's just what I was thinking but had no experience with the pellets.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Roslyn said:
My son had a pellet gun that he used to shoot rats for me and there were thousands of the plastic pellets through the yard. Yup, the chickens ate them, and it was quite funny to see the bright yellow pellets inside the piles of poo. They went straight through them.

The same thing happened when they consumed a board of sheet insulation. Little blue foam pellets in piles of poo. Yum.
Thank you very much. My chickens will now be allowed to free range!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts