Chicken Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Rest in peace Sunfish
2,175 Posts
You are really stuck on those minks. Unless you have water right outside your back door and lots of forest you don't have a mink problem.

What would you do without us? Do you remember how you treated them last time?
Well without u guys I probably wouldn’t even know but anyways I put DE powder on their head where the mites are I think the mites r gone now.

·
Administrator
24,682 Posts
That won't do it. Remember you used some sort of garlic concoction on them last year and it worked.

So, I did a little digging for you about what is available to use on your birds where you live. You were right, there isn't much out there. Only one came up that I would trust, Ivermectin. I know you went round and round with your parents about this but it's the most effective, easiest way to deal with them. And a bottle will last you a long time.

If you can talk them into it get the pour on. You can get it at the feed store or order it online.

If I need to talk to them have them reach out to me and I'll explain.

·
Registered
Rest in peace Sunfish
2,175 Posts
That won't do it. Remember you used some sort of garlic concoction on them last year and it worked.

So, I did a little digging for you about what is available to use on your birds where you live. You were right, there isn't much out there. Only one came up that I would trust, Ivermectin. I know you went round and round with your parents about this but it's the most effective, easiest way to deal with them. And a bottle will last you a long time.

If you can talk them into it get the pour on. You can get it at the feed store or order it online.

If I need to talk to them have them reach out to me and I'll explain.
Oh I still have the garlic thing but I’m not sure if I can put it on her head. Also about that ivermectin I don’t know where to get that online it’s not on Amazon. My parents can get it but we don’t use other websites than Amazon since we have free shipping and it comes in 2 days.

I think buttercup is being weird she’s moulting but she’s thirsty and water is right in front of her like she won’t drink it she drinks water from the dirt maybe she has trouble seeing??

·
Registered
Rest in peace Sunfish
2,175 Posts
Where do you get your feed at? They should have it there since it's used for all sorts of livestock.

If you don't come with a solution the mites will kill the girls. You can get baby shampoo and bathe them in that. It will kill the mites that are currently on them but that's only a temporary solution.
I used my hand and picked them off I don’t see anymore.. also my feed store only has feed nothing else and it’s far away.. I don’t think I should bathe them it’s so cold they are moulting.

·
Administrator
24,682 Posts
That's a paste. It won't work. Sorry to say. It has to be the pour on.

Do you have a vet? You might be able to get it from them without taking the birds in.

Picking them off won't work. There are more and the eggs hatch that create more. Their coop area will need to be thoroughly cleaned. And treated.

It's that time of year for some reason. Maybe their last hurrah before full on winter.

·
Registered
Rest in peace Sunfish
2,175 Posts
That's a paste. It won't work. Sorry to say. It has to be the pour on.

Do you have a vet? You might be able to get it from them without taking the birds in.

Picking them off won't work. There are more and the eggs hatch that create more. Their coop area will need to be thoroughly cleaned. And treated.

It's that time of year for some reason. Maybe their last hurrah before full on winter.
Yeah I have a vet .. I’ll see.

·
Administrator
24,682 Posts
Yes. If you can get that, get it. You'll have to make sure you apply it again within ten days. And use it to spray down their coop area and roost. It'll tell you how to mix it to apply to the birds and how to mix it to spray their coop area.

If you have concerns about spraying their heads, wet a cotton ball with the permethrin and rub their heads with it. It had to make contact to kill them.

·
Registered
Rest in peace Sunfish
2,175 Posts
Yes. If you can get that, get it. You'll have to make sure you apply it again within ten days. And use it to spray down their coop area and roost. It'll tell you how to mix it to apply to the birds and how to mix it to spray their coop area.

If you have concerns about spraying their heads, wet a cotton ball with the permethrin and rub their heads with it. It had to make contact to kill them.
What’s the dosage? I’ll see if I can get it it’s just so expensive plus the shipping and normally it’s cheaper in the U.S

41 - 60 of 64 Posts