Chicken Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Rhode Island Red chicks are about 2 ½ weeks old and the coop is almost done. The area is rocky, but there is an area with some shallow soil which is pretty alkaline. I want to set up a chicken garden so they can free range during the day. Any suggestions on plants I should be planting for the chickens?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I’m thinking that well-fed chickens probably won’t eat plants poisonous to them.

Green, leafy salad-type vegetables of most types are usually welcome. The same stuff humans eat. Mine seem to enjoy kale, turnip greens, tomatoes, berries, clover, tender grasses.

Your problem might be what will grow in your soil.

I’m not familiar with that area of the country so I’m of no help in that regard.

·
29 Posts
Texasgirl said:
Our Rhode Island Red chicks are about 2 ½ weeks old and the coop is almost done. The area is rocky, but there is an area with some shallow soil which is pretty alkaline. I want to set up a chicken garden so they can free range during the day. Any suggestions on plants I should be planting for the chickens?
Chickens in a garden is usually a problem of what you don't want them eating, cause you want to eat it. First, they will scrounge the garden for bigs first in my experience. My flock of 13 free ranges in the garden almost everyday during the growing season. No self respecting grasshopper will come within a mile of the garden. So, you are going to benefit from most garden pest control. Only two things that they don't care for is ants and squash bugs.

They will tear through fresh baby squash, love to peck tomatoes to get to the seedy pulp and generally like bell peppers. What I plant to share with my chicks is corn, bush type cherry tomatoes and most root type vegetables. They will spend days in the corn rows staying out of the sheath and ambushing bugs. When the corn is picked, when I have to trim a cob because of a worm they get the worm and the trimmed off cob. Cherry tomatoes provide shade and again ambush locations for the bugs. They don't bother picking cherry tomatoes as much as large tomatoes, but they will eat them occasionally. Root vegetables give them green tops to eat without harming the root growth. Mine prefer beet greens and sweet potato greens.

Garden is greatly going to benefit from the chicken poop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts