Chicken for a house pet ...

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by robopetz, Oct 18, 2012.

1. robopetz

robopetz New Member

[[Cant edit title... Oops I meant pet not per.]]

Anyone else raise them strictly indoors? Of course with outside walks and playtime but live and sleep indoors as if they are a cat or dog? Our lil Sophie is. We just got her though and she's only 2-3 weeks old. Already she is spoiled rotten lol. I'm going to try and train her to potty on a pad or might just order those chicken diapers. Just wanted to find others who do the same and what your experience is like. Thanks!

2. piglett

piglett Senior Member

well lets see what she looks like ..........

3. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Just took this one. Lil Sophie =)

Attached Files:

4. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

I know people (on the computer) that have them as pets, and put diapers on them. Some just use paper towels and tape instead of purchasing diapers. Just anything instead of having gifts everywhere. If I weren't married, I WOULD SO MUCH be the the crazy chicken lady that had them in the houseat the end of the road...

5. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I changed it for you. :)

6. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

My Australorp was pretty well potty trained. She's made her way into the big girl coop a long while now but she knew what "go potty Lilah" meant. I'd take her outside periodically to have her do her biz outside. She'd be loose for about an hour at a time then I'd either bring her back outside or put her in her temporary bin/house. She was an inside girl in the evenings or when I was home, for about 6 months. Took that long to get her to work her way in with the older girls. She wanted so badly to be with them but they just would have no part of it. Used to come inside to lay her egg when she first started laying. She'd kick the dog out of the dog bed, do her work, then leave. Talk about "special delivery." ;)

I would do the diapers for yours if she's going to be permanently inside. Use them during times you might not be able to take her out often. Chickens potty very very often!

Attached Files:

7. robopetz

robopetz New Member

There's no problem with a "crazy chicken lady" hahaha

8. robopetz

robopetz New Member

You are awesome! Thank you!!

9. robopetz

robopetz New Member

That is a cute story about her stealing the pet bed from the dog! Yes, I'm goin to try and do the potty training on her but may take a lil longer cause I still do have to leave her home to go to work. I just have to figure out a routine. Probably diaper when no ones home and training when we are. Cute photo!

10. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Thanks! She's so spoiled. Its those darned chocolate brown eyes and all that soft fluff she has. I can't resist her a darned thing! :eek: There were times when I'd sitting on the couch studying (went back to college) with her on one side of me, the cat on the other, plus my little dog whose bed she stole. All I could do was smile and play dumb when the hubby would come in from the garage. What chicken? I don't see any chicken? ;)

11. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

I have never kept any chickens inside, past raising the peeps in the basement or on the front enclosed porch at our last house.

However, when I had my first batch of peeps. 10 of them, I was just too excited to be a chicken mommy and so I would carry them around, one by one. I think that they were around 8 to 10 weeks, the point where they are fully feathered and look like mini chickens.

So, I was sitting at my computer with a sleeping chick in my arm and the phone rang. It was a telemarketer trying to sell me something. When I started talking the chick woke up and wanted put down, but I had a good hold on her and was holding onto her feet. So....she got her wings loose and was flapping and squawking. So......I told the person on the phone in my best southern accent, "Oh Honey......I just can't talk about this right now, if I'm going to get dinner on the table on time I really have to take care of this here chicken right now!"

Needless to say I heard S*I*L*E*N*C*E on the phone and I hung up and had a really, really good laugh!!!!

:eek:

12. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

That's hilarious Roslyn! Chickens do make for the best of stories!:)

Little Sophie that this thread is about, passed away this morning. I feel so bad for robopetz. I know how much he adored that sweetie of his. =(

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  13. rob

rob New Member

has anyone ever house trained a chicken ?

14. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I'm sure in the history of humans and chickens...someone has. Google it.

15. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

For the most part yes. Lilah when it took me 6 1/2 months to get her to want to go in the coop with the big girls. I just had to take her out every 1 1/2 - 2 hours if she was inside with me. If she wanted in with me, I'd tell she had to go potty first. "Go potty Lilah." When we'd get closer to the house, she'd squat and do her biz then RUN to the house and holler at me to hurry up. Lilah's my Australorp. She was a month old when I got her. Night time she went into her bin. When she started laying eggs, she'd wait until I got home from work to lay her egg. She'd come in to put it on her night time bed or in the dog bed then want back outside.

Attached Files:

16. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

She's not exactly spoiled. Just well loved. :D

17. rob

rob New Member

anyone on here i meant lol

18. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

It would probably just be easier to learn to live with the poop. :D

19. piglett

piglett Senior Member

i have been in a few houses that could have used a little chicken poop on the floor to make the place smell better :)))))

20. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I know Rob. I was just fooling around as usual. Couldn't resist. Glad you saw the humor. ;-).