Chicken emptying coop

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by colingm, Oct 11, 2012.

1. colingm

colingm New Member

Does any one know why my chickens would be emptying all the straw from their coops. Even after it had all been cleaned and new straw added.

2. annlouise

annlouise New Member

Mine did that I just guessed they prefer just wood shavings so stopped putting straw in and just bumped up the amount of shavings I use they scratch it where they want it and lay away... Their funny little buggas really

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Chickens certainly know their likes & dislikes. They'll make both very clear. :D

4. cogburn

cogburn New Member

If its just a square box with the front open they may not do it intentionally, when they enter a new nest with clean bedding they spend quite a while scratching and spinning around forming a "nest" if it's just open the hay, straw, shavings... Go out the open side, and your eggs will too. Put at least a 2" "lip" across the front at bottom of box, it keeps bedding and eggs in.

And take some pics and post along with things like this, I'm just guessing here.. But a photo or 2 would really help !!

5. colingm

colingm New Member

I have 3 different coops on the largest 2 story living coop they have emptied out the bottom and a bit of the top, the 2 smaller ones they empty out the laying area a bot odd but then they are chickens perhaps it is the change form winter to summer down here in NZ. I will put less in to see what happens. Thanks for the help every one, this just shows this is a great place to be with my birds. :)

6. Nm156

Nm156 Well-Known Member

They like to scratch through the straw looking for the wheat berries.

7. jn4

jn4 New Member

+1 ..yup!