Chicken Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know why my chickens would be emptying all the straw from their coops. Even after it had all been cleaned and new straw added.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine did that I just guessed they prefer just wood shavings so stopped putting straw in and just bumped up the amount of shavings I use they scratch it where they want it and lay away... Their funny little buggas really

·
Banned
1,267 Posts
If its just a square box with the front open they may not do it intentionally, when they enter a new nest with clean bedding they spend quite a while scratching and spinning around forming a "nest" if it's just open the hay, straw, shavings... Go out the open side, and your eggs will too. Put at least a 2" "lip" across the front at bottom of box, it keeps bedding and eggs in.

And take some pics and post along with things like this, I'm just guessing here.. But a photo or 2 would really help !!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If its just a square box with the front open they may not do it intentionally, when they enter a new nest with clean bedding they spend quite a while scratching and spinning around forming a "nest" if it's just open the hay, straw, shavings... Go out the open side, and your eggs will too. Put at least a 2" "lip" across the front at bottom of box, it keeps bedding and eggs in.

And take some pics and post along with things like this, I'm just guessing here.. But a photo or 2 would really help !!
I have 3 different coops on the largest 2 story living coop they have emptied out the bottom and a bit of the top, the 2 smaller ones they empty out the laying area a bot odd but then they are chickens perhaps it is the change form winter to summer down here in NZ. I will put less in to see what happens. Thanks for the help every one, this just shows this is a great place to be with my birds. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts