Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A continuation of my post from the chick forum.
First I would like to show the picture of the "Rubber Garage", and the raising pen I made in there.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My wood craftsmanship wasn't the greatest. It is only temporary, a one time spring run of chicks that I will be selling. After that I will open the inside wall so that I can use the garage for yard sale items. Depending how well things turn out, I am looking forward to doing this again next year!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Came home this morning and found out I caught another raccoon in my box trap. Makes number 12 I think since the beginning of fall. To put it in a nice way, I fed him, transplanted to another location (buzzard hollow) and then reset my trap!

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My plans are to raise and sell most of the chickens once they get bigger. Between the people my wife and I know, and their friends, many should go quickly. We plan on keeping a few to add to our flock. Those will join the flock in the regular coop and yard we have for them.

We have around 55 chicks. Barred Rocks, red Stars, and Easter Eggers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Today I did a little critter proofing. Besides the two box traps I have set out around the chick garage, I also have a red blinking LED light from radio shack at the back end of the garage and I had some left over plastic landscaping netting and post left over, so I stretched that around three sides of the garage. Figured that the net would tangle up any critters trying to get in (like catching fish in a gill net). Don't know if it will work, but I feel better that I did it.

·
977 Posts
Keep a radio on out there 24/7. Talk radio is best. Then it seems like there are people in there. Hopefully scare anything away. We have one in our coop, doesn't scare the hawks but we have never had an attack at night.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Righteousrich said:
A continuation of my post from the chick forum.
First I would like to show the picture of the "Rubber Garage", and the raising pen I made in there.
Ohhhhhh, the roof and sides are rubber, for some reason, I was thinking floor..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been trapping ***** since fall, so I think I have them thinned out pretty good. The set up is far from predator proof, but between my dogs going out ( my son is a night owl, so they go out at all times of the night), the plastic netting that they wood get hung up in (I think) and the trapping that I constantly do, I am hoping for good results. The radio playing with talk shows sounds like a good idea. I also have a flashing red LED for a predator eye.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Righteousrich said:
My plans are to raise and sell most of the chickens once they get bigger. Between the people my wife and I know, and their friends, many should go quickly. We plan on keeping a few to add to our flock. Those will join the flock in the regular coop and yard we have for them.

We have around 55 chicks. Barred Rocks, red Stars, and Easter Eggers.
Where do you live? I might be interested!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Righteousrich said:
I've been trapping ***** since fall, so I think I have them thinned out pretty good. The set up is far from predator proof, but between my dogs going out ( my son is a night owl, so they go out at all times of the night), the plastic netting that they wood get hung up in (I think) and the trapping that I constantly do, I am hoping for good results. The radio playing with talk shows sounds like a good idea. I also have a flashing red LED for a predator eye.
What we do for our chickens!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts