Chicken Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of My RI Red started laying eggs two weeks ago at 21 weeks. She has been a great producer so far with 12 eggs in two weeks. Everything seemed normal until today. She laid an egg and there was a bit of blood. She has been bleeding all day. Her sister who has not yet started laying has been pecking at her vent a bit due to the blood. What should I do? I'm afraid we may loose her. :confused:

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
You can pick her up and examine her vent to see if there is an obvious tear at the corner of her vent...this is an external wound and you can address that with some blood stop powder or even flour, which will work in a pinch.

If it's coming from inside her vent there isn't much you can do about stopping the bleeding but you can isolate her from the other bird and keep her in the dark. This will minimize her movements and keep her still enough that the bleeding may clot off and healing start to take place.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.