Chicken Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a chicken and a turkey mate? I have a small flock, plus a turkey who thinks he's a chicken. He seems rather protective of the hen, more so than the other roosters.. Is there anyway that they could mate? Is that a normal thing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The turkey is the male. The chicken is the female.. I haven't seen them actually trying anything, but the Tom is extremely protective of the hen. I was just wondering if it was even possible..

·
1,466 Posts
so your tom turkey wants to mate with a chicken?
i would try to find him a girl of his own

good luck
piglett

·
Yaya
284 Posts
can't wait to hear more on this thread.
Tractor ran over two turkey nests this summer. Farmer next door put the eggs under his Silkie hens. Silkies are famously maternal. they hatched and educated the young turkeys, until the strange ones began to fly up in the trees. Moms fussed ferociously from the ground. The teen aged turkeys are still flying around the barn and like to come home for supper, but they go off with their Turkey friends during the daylight hours.
I bet the farmer will soon know the answer to your question!

·
Registered
647 Posts
I don't think it is possible for a chicken and a turkey to mate. A broody chicken can hatch turkey eggs

·
Registered
575 Posts
That's considered cross species mating I don't believe it's possible without doing severe damage to the Hen.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I recently watched a great documentary called My life as a Turkey, this guy raised a brood of wild turkeys from eggs to adults as their parent. Pretty interesting. It was on Netflix.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts