Chicken Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 3/4 week old Icelandic chick that is acting active and normal, but part of its comb is turning black. Also, there are nasty, swollen spots on the top of the foot and leg, which almost looks like it may be an infected scratch.

The chicks are in a large, metal water tank with wood chips, plain water, and 22% protein crumbles, and no treats yet. There is still a heat lamp, but I have raised it up higher. None of the other chicks have any issues.

Any ideas on what it could be and what I should do? Tomorrow is Monday, and I was going to the vet to see if they have any ideas. Thanks!

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
The comb might be from an injury. Hard to say because of the angle.

The foot is concerning. It could be a staph infection. Try soaking it in Epsom salts and then see if you can squeeze any pus out of the sores. Slap antibiotic ointment on it and wrap the foot with vet wrap/ Dang it, now I can't remember what the human form of the wrap is called. Coban, it's called Coban.

The most important part is getting all of the pus out. It might be worth it to do a 50/50 mix of peroxide and water in a syringe and flush the wounds out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! ☺

Here is another picture of the comb. My kids were wondering if maybe it flew up and burned the comb on the heat lamp? Originally I did look at pictures of the pox, and it kind of looked like that, but not really. The entire tips are shrunk and blackened.

We don’t have any mosquitoes because it is still cold at night. We have only had a few nights above freezing.

The swelling on the foot went down a lot. I have soaked it twice, and applied high quality manuka honey. I also put vitamin C powder in the water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts