Chicken Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My three 9-10 week old teenagers have integrated well with our three adult hens. We also have a mama hen with a 3 week old baby. They free range most of the day. The problem is my older hens are obsessed with the grower feed and gobble it up. Since they all live together the feeders with the baby food disappears and the laying pellets are practically untouched. I do have calcium sources available for the 2 hens that are laying but they aren’t eating tons of it. Will this be okay for a few more weeks? I supplement their diet with sprouted wheat, comfrey leaves, fresh oregano, calendula flowers, a few meal worms, a bit of black sun flower seeds and veggie scraps. Their egg laying seems to be okay.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Was wondering about that the only, non laying food I can find in my area is in pellet form. Since my chooks have never had that so they most likely wont eat the pellets. Buy can get grower feed. And we have oyster shells for calcium anyway.

also red some where the feed was developed in the early 1900 for the big farms to feed for egg laying.

·
Administrator
24,628 Posts
I pulled up farm and fleet. It looks like they carry what you need. They have an 18% chick feed that is a crumble but I can't tell if it's medicated or not.

Ask a sales person. Tell them you want an all flock, or a grower flight conditioner that is not medicated and a crumble. It's there, you just to know what to look for.

·
Administrator
24,628 Posts
I know it's confusing when you first start out. It was for me too. So many choices to be made. If you need to write it down, do that.

You want an All Flock, non medicated, crumble, anywhere from 18% to 22% protein. I personally prefer 20% but will get 22 if the regular 20 isn't available. Once you get the right one, you won't have any more trouble. But because of supply issues you might have to adjust and get one higher or lower in protein at times.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts