Chick starter/grower

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering' started by junebugs, Jul 13, 2019.

1. junebugs

junebugs Member

My three 9-10 week old teenagers have integrated well with our three adult hens. We also have a mama hen with a 3 week old baby. They free range most of the day. The problem is my older hens are obsessed with the grower feed and gobble it up. Since they all live together the feeders with the baby food disappears and the laying pellets are practically untouched. I do have calcium sources available for the 2 hens that are laying but they aren’t eating tons of it. Will this be okay for a few more weeks? I supplement their diet with sprouted wheat, comfrey leaves, fresh oregano, calendula flowers, a few meal worms, a bit of black sun flower seeds and veggie scraps. Their egg laying seems to be okay.

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

My birds have lived on grower (20%) their entire lives. The oldest when I lost her last year was 14. Another was 12 when he died. What I have left are now seven or eight years old and one is nine.

Someone somewhere made the comment years ago that the recommended protein levels from manufacturers is the minimum requirement.

3. junebugs

junebugs Member

Thank you! I won’t worry about it then!

4. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

I had 20 pens with about 80 birds and a coop of Guineas. Trying to balance all sorts of dietary needs was about to drive me nuts. Then I decided to heck with it, fed everyone the same thing, left free choice calcium for the girls and everyone did great.