Chick pics/tough day

Discussion in 'Chick Raising Forum' started by dawg53, Apr 14, 2018 at 7:15 AM.

1. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

This past Thursday at 6:30am the post office called and said my 4 chicks arrived from Meyer hatchery, one of each: RIR, Jersey Giant, Light Brahma, EE.
    I got them home and opened the box the poor things were chilled, shaking and huddling together despite the heating pad under the bedding in the box. The Light Brahma was by her self though, trembling terribly. It was dark, cold and misty that morning, a bad chickie weather day to say the least.

When I got home, I immediately put them in the brooder with the heat lamp and set up a second heat lamp as well. I filled the 1 quart waterer with lukewarm water and mixed in 1 tablespoon Poultry Nutri drench.
    I dipped their beaks in the waterer and they were very thirsty. I could tell my problem child was going to be the Light Brahma as she was still shaking. Later on I removed the second heat lamp.

My wife spent most of the day nursing and coaxing the Light Brahma to move around in the brooder. She used to be a nurse (MA.) I still had to dip the chicks beak in the waterer often. The other chicks recovered nicely and eventually started eating crumbles.
    Later in the afternoon, the Nutri Drench did its job with the Light Brahma. The chick stopped shaking and was drinking on her own, but still hadnt eaten.
    Late in the evening the Light Brahma started eating and she finally pooped. She has since made a full recovery and is doing great. She's had poopy butt twice (Sharon's eyes spotted it) and I cleaned her up. Phew!
    In pic #003, the chick at the top left is the RIR, below her is the Light Brahma.
    At the top right is the JG and below her is the EE.
    I forgot to add that I'm getting 3 Speckled Sussex chicks today and will put them in the same brooder. I'll take pics of them later today.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      55.9 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      50.3 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      43.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018 at 7:22 AM
    chickenqueen likes this.
  2. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

How did you get only 4 from the hatchery?I have to order 15 or 25,depending on the time of year.That's a nice mix of chicks you got.I always have EE's and LB's,both real good layers with nice personalities.

3. Steinwand

Steinwand Active Member

Cute! Meyer hatchery can do as little as three chicks if you order after April and before November

dawg53 likes this.
  4. seminolewind

seminolewind Super Mod Staff Member

Sorry your chicks arrived cold. I'm glad they all snapped out of it. SS are nice. I have 3 but one can barely walk. I personally think she has cancer because her eyes are jaundiced.

I'm glad to hear your wife is so involved in their care!

5. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

Thats great they bounced back!! Hopefully the brahma fully recovers

dawg53 likes this.
  6. Steinwand

Steinwand Active Member

7. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

I added 3 Speckled Sussex chicks from a breeder friend of mine today. They are straight run. My friend is a big time enabler and tried coaxing me to get more lol. I might end up doing it if all 3 chicks turn out to be cockerals...it would be my luck.
    They integrated well with the hatchery chicks in the brooder, no problems whatsoever. Two SS's are yellow in color and the 3rd almost has the same coloring as the EE.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      125.2 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      122.5 KB
      Views:
    boskelli1571 likes this.
  8. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

They sure poop alot. I had a neighbor save us a ton of newspapers. We change it out frequently.
    Here's a good one. Sharon was watching the chicks running around and all of a sudden she gets this funny look on her face and asks,"what's that awful smell?"
    I looked in the brooder while Sharon was running out of the room...it was cecal poop! Hahahaha!

seminolewind and boskelli1571 like this.
  9. Maryellen

Lol poor sharon!!!
    Dawg i use wee wee pads for the first 2 weeks depending on how many chicks i have, then graduate to shavings, try the wee wee puppy training pads,you will lije them better then newspaper

dawg53 likes this.
  10. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

Nothing is better than stinky chicks in the living room.I kinda miss it this year but I'm letting Mama raise her 2.I've never seen them with a Mama and it's neat watching them though Mama won't let me get close to her babies.

Maryellen, Steinwand and dawg53 like this.
  11. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Active Member

I have one bantam that likes to raise chicks each year. She is currently sitting on 2 eggs :)

12. seminolewind

Poor Sharon!
    I get my chicks on hardware cloth at 3-4 weeks with the wee wee pads underneath and a low box of shavings to sleep in. They sure poop a lot!

Maryellen and dawg53 like this.
  13. boskelli1571

That's funny with your wife being a nurse!
    I have a question for everyone - I have 2 hatchlings. They had a bit of a rocky start but seem to be doing ok right now except I never see them eat. I try to 'tidbit' them with the feed but they never seem interested. They are drinking well (vits in water) and they are pooping but not a lot. Quite active, cheeping a lot don't sem to be distressed. I don't hatch that often so I need moral (or immoral) support :) ME the yellow one is Georges' I believe.... DSCF6006 (1).JPG

Maryellen, Steinwand and dawg53 like this.
  14. Maryellen

Grind up the feed,make it smaller more like powder

Steinwand, dawg53 and boskelli1571 like this.
  15. boskelli1571

Should I mix with water to make a thin gruel?

16. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

I went through the same thing with my new chicks, the crumbles were too big. I just crushed some and put it down for them to eat in front of the feeder. They were reluctant at first until one or two chicks started pecking at it, then they ate it. The others followed suit.
    As far as a gruel goes, I'd do it as a last resort. If they like it and scoff it up, they may not want to eat dry crumbles again.

boskelli1571 and Steinwand like this.
  17. seminolewind

GRIND UP THE FEED! You can also give them a wet mash as a treat. I give my chicks a mash treat every day late afternoon. It really makes them plump.

chickenqueen and boskelli1571 like this.
  18. Maryellen

No you dont have to add water, just grind to almost powder.
    How are they doing?
    The only chick food that is tiny enough for newborn chicks ive found is nutrena chick starter grower, its super fine and my newborn chicks have always done well on it since i started using it

dawg53 likes this.
  19. boskelli1571

Sadly, they both passed, one last night and I think the other one just gave up too :(