Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 1/2 week old chick who seems about the same size as when we got him. I'll have to compare photos, but either way I don't think he's growing as fast as he should. He is either a black copper maran or a black copper maran/silkie mix. The breeder wasn't sure which. He isn't as active as the other chicks... Sleeps more often. He eats and drinks.. Not sure if he eats as much as he should though. I really don't want to lose him. Any tips are welcomed! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Not sure what to tell you other than to try the powder mix to add to water for it called save-a-chick. It has a bunch of electrolytes etc in it for chicks that are not doing well. Should be at your local feed mill, Tractor Supply, or any store like that.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm hoping he's just banty. He still seems small even for that though. I have some of the electrolyte stuff. I'll give him that.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
If the chick is eating and drinking ... I would let it be.

But that is just me ...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Energyvet said:
My little yellow chick is much smaller than the 3 barred rocks. She's supposed to be a buff orp. I think she's more likely a buff rock banty. They are all supposed to be the same age.
That makes me feel better. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Do you see the size difference between Aschenputtel and her 3 ugly step sisters? I mean really. Same age? Large fowl?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Energyvet said:
My little yellow chick is much smaller than the 3 barred rocks. She's supposed to be a buff orp. I think she's more likely a buff rock banty. They are all supposed to be the same age.
My Buff Orp has slowed down her growing also, or at least it seems that way. When I got them, she was the biggest, now she's the smallest. They are all about 4 weeks old.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
I'm just extra paranoid because I recently lost a chick. I really don't want to lost another.. You know?
Different breeds can and do grow at different rates. The same goes for how active a chick/chicken will be.

Best of luck!

·
1,466 Posts
my silkie chicks grow slower than the buff orpingtons do
they are all mixed together when they are youngsters
but they all look to enjoy hanging out together
if they were pecking on a little one then i would remove it
if not they all room together

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
Do you see the size difference between Aschenputtel and her 3 ugly step sisters? I mean really. Same age? Large fowl?
She kinda looks like she is being picked on in the one picture. She is the only one with food in front of her, and one of the black ones appears to be pecking at her... Maybe not, but make sure there is more than one place to get food and water, so they can't keep her from it. She's a doll!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts