Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The prettiest chick of our 12 now has cross beak. It was not the case before but it has developed over the week-end. Is it possible it will get worse? She is eating, drinking and growing big! I've contacted the hatchery as I'm sure they would want to know.

Here's a picture. She's an Americauna and her name is Danica Patrick.

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
If she has trouble eating, grind up her food and mix with sugar water. You can trim the beak when she gets older, a little at a time. Like dog nails. If it's showing up this young it's probably genetic and only an avian vet and very invasive treatments could improve it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Most likely genetic, yes. I have one hen that has a crosses beak. They can't sharpen or file their beaks properly on their own, so periodically you'll have to intervene to file or snip the tip down. She should be able to eat just fine. My little mottled hen is my special needs lady. She's about 5 months and is the size of a 3 month old. She got frostbite on all of her toes, so she at most has half of each toe. She also has a crossbeak. Totally worth the extra effort to see how happy and healthy she is. She's just as plump as the rest, just growing slower. She fights! Crazy!

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your responses everyone. FYI here is the reply from the hatchery:

Rebecca-

I am sorry to hear about your pullet having cross beak. I will issue a credit back to your card for the chick. She may thrive and do fine with it, or she may begin to stop eating and drinking. There is no way to know, but wait and see how she does. Sometimes you can try clipping the beak back, but this may do more harm than good. If she is doing ok at this point, you may want to just let her go and see how she progresses. If you have anymore questions, please let me know. We appreciate your business.

Thank you,

Julie Eason

Ideal Poultry Breeding Farms, Inc.
PO Box 591
Cameron, TX 76520

1-800-243-3257

www.idealpoultry.com

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
GratefulGirl said:
Thanks for your responses everyone. FYI here is the reply from the hatchery:

Rebecca—

I am sorry to hear about your pullet having cross beak. I will issue a credit back to your card for the chick. She may thrive and do fine with it, or she may begin to stop eating and drinking. There is no way to know, but wait and see how she does. Sometimes you can try clipping the beak back, but this may do more harm than good. If she is doing ok at this point, you may want to just let her go and see how she progresses. If you have anymore questions, please let me know. We appreciate your business.

Thank you,

Julie Eason

Ideal Poultry Breeding Farms, Inc.
PO Box 591
Cameron, TX 76520

1-800-243-3257

www.idealpoultry.com
That is good to see, that is the best thing for the breeder or hatchery to do, and it is also great when the customer informs the breeder. We are a small breeder, and try to keep a few from most hatches to see how they progress and to check for genetic issues, but we can all only keep just x amount of chickens. I do hope you little one makes it. I have seen pics of some that do make it fine, but they do require extra care.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a baby turkey with a cross beak. I will inform the hatchery of it. Doubt they will credit me because they always throw in extra birds on every order.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a baby turkey with a cross beak. I will inform the hatchery of it. Doubt they will credit me because they always throw in extra birds on every order.
I hope your little turkey survives. So far, my little Danica is doing great! As mentioned by a response above her cross beak did worsen but she is thriving! In fact, she is a pistol! :p

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a new picture of Danica. As you can see her cross beak is much more severe but she is big! In fact she is the biggest pullet at the moment! I am looking for detailed instructions on how to trim her beak, proper age, etc. Hoping for a YouTube video which I will search for tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Little Slackjaw is so cute!!! How old is she?

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How is little Slackjaw doing KYcrazychicken lady?lll

·
977 Posts
We had a crossbeak too. Named her Oddball. She had to be feed from a deep dish so she could scoop the feed up. Free ranged everyday with the other chickens. Was the friendliest chick. I never trimmed her beak. She seemed to do just well. A fox got her, she was a month shy of a year old. She laid beautiful green eggs! Never hatched any if her eggs, fear that it would be passed down. Good luck with your girl.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well Slackjaw is doing just fine. The beak is totally askew at this point but it seams to be eating just fine. It is not the smallest or the biggest of the blue slate turkeys.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good to hear! My Danica is doing ok but not nearly as big as her flock mates. She loves greek yogurt, oatmeal, peanut butter, jelly & cottage cheese. I mix in her feed & chick grit to make a mash which she eats off my finger. I am starting a batch of fermented feed hoping she will eat it & provide more nutrition for her!

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you aren't currently feeding your cross beaks fermented feed I would recommend that you check out that thread. Danica was actually able to eat it on her own so with this better nutrition I am hoping to see a growth spurt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
image-3783920612.jpg

If Slackjaw starts falling behind or looking malnourished I will check that out. Right now it is doing just fine and seams pretty happy. Our flock is about 120 birds so it is hard to do a lot of one on one attention.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 55 Posts