Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
New Chicken Mom
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed my feed to a non gmo local feed. It is a crumbles form and they all love it. I used a commercial brand pellets before and they weren't that thrilled with it.

One of my hens is making a noise I never heard from her before. I can't tell if she is sneezing or happy about the new food.

Is it possible she is allergic or just sneezing from the dust?

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Yes. It's possible. I've tried 3 different feeds now. Blue seal, Layena and local brand. They really don't like any of them very much. They like to dump them out. I also have mash and they all love mash.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Tried Layena a couple different times including the one Omega something on the name of the bag. They really hated the Omega one and weren't crazy about the Layena. Went back to Dumor for good after that. Only other brand available in my area. Very slim pickings up here in Upper Michigan.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Only thing I like about Layena is the cool bag that you can make a tote bag out of later. Lol. Can't wait until they're mostly just free ranging again.

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
Here I thought I was soooooo totally creative when I made bags out of my bird seed bags, until I found the Pin Board ! (pinterest)

·
New Chicken Mom
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been saving the bags too, but plan to use them to cover plants.

As far as the feed, I really like it. I have 5 hens and was getting two eggs a day. I knew three hens were laying, but still only two eggs a day. Since the feed switch all 5 are laying!! I am getting three eggs a day. I checked vents, so I know everyone is laying. Just not getting one a day from everyone. Two hens, I thought were baron, are laying. IDK, feed, spring, whatever, they are all laying and hope they plan to give me 5 eggs a day.

·
Country Gurl
62 Posts
When using crumble birds will get it into their nostrils and sneeze. The tote is cool. Purina is what I feed down here. Dumor makes the poop dark in the little ones.

VIVI

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I've seen the totes with a cotton handle but same idea. I've got scratch, molena, and Layena waiting for me to find time to make the bags. Lol

Crumbles work, pellets work, vegs and bugs are best though.

·
Banned
825 Posts
I prefer the pellets...because it seems they use less of it....
....BUT perhaps the use is less because the local little birds (sparrows, etc.) don't eat so much of it ?

I'm going to TRY "fermented-feed" this month (probably DUMOR layer pellets --- fermented here at home.).
We shall see HOW WELL that "goes-over".

Actually....my chickens WILL eat ANYTHING that I provide....as long as I give them NO "options".
( hungry little buggers ! )
I also throw them "scraps" when I'm cooking.

They all seem healthy. ( only 6 hens and I got 5 NICE LARGE EGGS today ! ...and NEVER a "weak shell".)
They are about 11 months old now and the days are getting longer and it's much warmer here now.
(We've hit the 70s in the daylight and are slightly above freezing (33*F) at night.)

The coming of Spring seems to have "Perked-Them-Up" !!!
(and ME too ! )

Bruce ( ReTIRED )

·
Registered
6 Posts
Our girls are picky when it comes to their feed.... They do not like the pellets, nor do they like the crumble. They are even more cranky about the mash get. They prefer the mash overall but I have to add cracked corn and oats to it. I am not sure if their only real objection the the mash is texture or what but as long as we keep adding the cracked corn & oats they are happy.

Another thing we feed our birds is meal leftovers from the table and scraps these are gourmet treats to them.... they will not eat eggshells no matter what we do but that is ok cause their eggshells are hard as nails.

To day I picked up some Happy Delight Treat and Meal Worms a little anxious to see their reactions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have Celiacs Disease, so we are feeding the gals what farmers fed them 100 years ago. Cracked corn, table scraps & good old fashioned bugs from the ground. Their own egg shells will be fed back to them once they start laying.
Any other Celiacs out there? What are u feeding your chickens?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Siriuslaminin said:
I have Celiacs Disease, so we are feeding the gals what farmers fed them 100 years ago. Cracked corn, table scraps & good old fashioned bugs from the ground. Their own egg shells will be fed back to them once they start laying.
Any other Celiacs out there? What are u feeding your chickens?
I understand that chickens who eat their shells will learn to eat their own eggs, which isn't something you want to encourage, to say the least.

·
Yaya
284 Posts
Energyvet said:
My tastes are simple. I only like the best. Lol
I put myself in the feed store lady's hands, not knowing a thing. She sold me s rat h with some protein because I told her they were not full grown. They ate it heartily till the weather got good enough to let them free range and they have hardly touched it since. Are they really getting enough to eat jut pecking around? Should I buy them a different feed? what? they are twenty weeks now. Layer feed what kind? so much I don't know, and yet the little flock looks happy and healthy.

·
Registered
513 Posts
JudyLandauer said:
I understand that chickens who eat their shells will learn to eat their own eggs, which isn't something you want to encourage, to say the least.
They won't if you crush the eggs up into really tiny pieces

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Just so they're not recognizable as eggs.

My chickens aren't much for processed food if they can get bugs and plants. Smart chickens.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Energyvet said:
Just so they're not recognizable as eggs.

My chickens aren't much for processed food if they can get bugs and plants. Smart chickens.
That makes sense, That's probably why I got in trouble as a teen for tossing half shells into the chicken run, lo those many years ago.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Totally not true. I give my hens their own shells, I dont bake them, I dont crush them and have never had a single egg eaten. Hens do not see the connection between and empty broken egg shell and a whole untouched egg.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts