Cats and Chickens

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Keith, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Keith

Keith New Member

I have concerns about our dogs but equally free range and cats. We have three outdoor cats who eat about half their diet on what they forage.

How do your outdoor cats do with chicks and hens?

2. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I have had no problems with either the cats and/or chickens. That is after we done in the last rooster that would go after anything that moved.
    (cat, dog or me! :eek:)

Our cats stay in the feed room or the barn and pay no mind to the chickens.

3. Berta

Berta New Member

My cat loves the chickens. She has always gone into the coop with me while cleaning/feeding. She loved to sit in the nest boxes and watch the chicks from above. When my oldest girls got to the point of laying they chased her all over the place, pecking her butt. She hasn't been back into the coop since. She will follow them around when they are out free ranging and they don't bother her.

4. ChickenAdmin

ChickenAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I've never seen a problem with a cat. Dogs on the other hand can be an issue. Especially more aggressive breeds.

5. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

Mia is a wonder cat with catching mice. At first I was worried about the peeps in the basement because she did bring down the occasional bird as well. However the first group I raised I kept noticing a smooth spot in the wood shavings, but I never found her bothering them. One day, there she was, sound asleep in the middle of the warm chicken brooder box! She never bothered them, but was always watching. Every now and then, she would stretch out her paw and just bat-bat-bat one. Never with her claws, but just to touch. It was the funniest thing!!

The following year I built a different style pen with movable panels for when the peeps get older I could just add panels etc. here is a photo of Mia and the Peeps.

Attached Files:

6. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Our cat Savage will kill anything from chipmunks, squirrels, mice, moles, birds, ect Heck he even had a stand off with a deer. Once we got the chicks he wanted them but I had them safe in a cage so he never got his chance. Over time he just started to ignore them. Now they are about full grown and he doesnt look twice at them. There are time though that the chickens chase him lol.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  7. thechickensofcrazyacres

thechickensofcrazyacres New Member

Someone dumped some kittens by our house..Only 2 made it because of the road..The two Lennon and Nemo live with the chickens..They sleep in the coop and run around with them when they are our in the field..during the evening when the chickens come back for the night the kittens are right with them..One of our dogs is ok with the chickens she is a mix breed and another abandoned pet dumped by our house..Our bluetick on the other hand would give anything to have a chicken dinner or even a kitten :(..I think the kittens will be ok seein they're growing up with the chickens

8. Jennibobs

Jennibobs New Member

I was worried about the cats when I first got my chickens earlier this year but they have been fine. Even the one that brings me home all kinds of wildlife hasn't shown any interest in doing them any harm. He has even brought the odd mouse as a present for the girls!

Attached Files:

9. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

We had a stray show up and I have been feeding it. It hangs out by the barn and in with the chickens... havent had any trouble yet.

10. kitz

kitz New Member

We have 2 cats and a dog when i let my chickens out to free range they all get along just fine

11. UncleJoe

UncleJoe New Member

Look at it from the eyes of the cat. The cats, at least ours, can't look eye to eye with the chickens. The chickens are taller and the cats have to look up at them, especially the Barred Rock Roo. When we throw out scraps the cats have learned that the chickens get first pick. They have been pecked a few times and now wait for the chickens to move on before they investigate what we threw out.

12. CMCLB

CMCLB New Member

We have 2 barn cats that take down mice, reptiles, & birds. Lots of birds! But, they usually leave the 5 month old chickens alone. Then, out of the blue, one cat goes after the chickens twice in the same morning. I'm not sure if he was just playing, really hungry, or now sees them as pray. That was last week. We decided, 3rd strike, he's out (of a home). He's very affectionate so we'll find him a new home.

13. laxbro

laxbro Senior Member

My cat loves my chickens. She always try's to play with them but they peck at her

14. CMCLB

CMCLB New Member

My Yorkie tries to give them kisses. She begs to go to the barn!

15. hollyosborn

hollyosborn HollyOsborn

these are sophies first babies to see.. she has her nose out of joint cause she got kicked out of the house.. once she came in though, they ran all over her.. shes old.. she could care less HAHA.. the other 3 just sit and watch, go to the coop with me, chase them and annoy them all LOL

Attached Files:

• 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      52.6 KB
      Views:
  16. TajMaCluckCoop

TajMaCluckCoop Not so Junior-Junior Member

My cat is afraid of the chickens! He didn't mind them so much as chicks in the house. But one of the first times I let the pullets out of the run to free range, Junior the kitty was in the yard. One chicken pecked him in the ear and another on the nose--not hard just out of curiousity. Now he won't go anywhere near the coop. If the chickens are free ranging, Junior sits by his catnip plant in the garden to guard it from those beaks!!!

17. MyChooks

MyChooks New Member

Our cat is great with chooks as well. She is always in the garden with them.

It the chooks the harrass everyone else... Rabbits, guinea pigs & the duck

[​IMG]

18. ladybird

ladybird New Member

I have chicken, ducks and 2 turkeys,, never have my cats or the stray that wonder in my yard, look twice at them.. They will even eat right with the group. My Turkeys rule the cats,, Its so funny

19. nbates1

nbates1 New Member

I never had a problem with cats, but years ago I raised (babied) 50 chicks I ordered, and when they were about 6 weeks old I let them out in the pen. Went to check them a couple of hours later and all 50 were laying there dead, heads bitten. I found where something had dug and went under the fence, so I put a steel trap in the hole and covered it with leaves. Within minutes my mutt dog was howling. Got my rifle and went out there and sure enough, he was in the trap. Shot him in the head for a little payback.

20. Willy

Willy Junior Member

The cats around here could care less about the chickens unless they're getting pecked. Then they're heading anywhere else. We've got a corgi mix dog though that we have to watch as he thinks he's supposed to be herding them.